Incubators Anonymous

Super excited!!! Day 7 and we done an ultrasound on (candled) the eggs this morning and all 35 eggs are fertilized and moving around like crazy !!!!! My 14 yr old daughter helped me and we couldn't believe all were progressing wonderfully!!! All the air pockets were in great shape also ! We think that the next 14 days will take forever.
its really only 11 days - because the last three are even worse. Lockdown... looking but not touching.. listining to chirping but not seeing where it is coming from.. lack of sleep.. LOL

HAVE FUN - I would not have it any other way!!

quote name="ozexpat" url="/t/569950/incubators-anonymous/4620#post_10571087"]its really only 11 days - because the last three are even worse. Lockdown... looking but not touching.. listining to chirping but not seeing where it is coming from.. lack of sleep.. LOL

HAVE FUN - I would not have it any other way!!
[/quot

We already can't wait till these have hatched so we can put more in
1f61c.png

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN....drum roll please...i just candled for the first time in my life...my very first batch in my homemade bator AND 3 ARE GROWING!!! I AM SO EXCITED!!! today is day #4 and when i got home from work the temp said 104, i am trying to just NOT think about what that could do but i have 3 that have a beautiful red clump with veins coming off of it!!! the 4th egg is NOT see thru in the middle..it has a bubble at the top and bottom of the egg...SHOULD I REMOVE IT or wait and see??? i have a still air bator with a 25 watt bulb on a dimmer switch. it stays around 99 but sometimes it does flucuate between 98 and 102 :(

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN....drum roll please...i just candled for the first time in my life...my very first batch in my homemade bator AND 3 ARE GROWING!!! I AM SO EXCITED!!! today is day #4 and when i got home from work the temp said 104, i am trying to just NOT think about what that could do but i have 3 that have a beautiful red clump with veins coming off of it!!! the 4th egg is NOT see thru in the middle..it has a bubble at the top and bottom of the egg...SHOULD I REMOVE IT or wait and see??? i have a still air bator with a 25 watt bulb on a dimmer switch. it stays around 99 but sometimes it does flucuate between 98 and 102 :(

Unless it is a stinker leave it in until at least day 7. Some eggs start slower than others so it could still develop, there's always a chance. If the egg is dark and you cannot see any light going through it, it it probably bad but otherwise, I would wait & see.

So I tried to clean the base of the incubator.

First I just washed it with Dawn. Then let it soak a bit.
then rinsed.
Then Clorox clean up.
then rinsed
Then magic eraser.
then rinsed
Then oxyclean. Both as a paste scrubbed on and a soak.
then rinsed.

Now it's sitting with a towel with fabreeze inside it.

there's to problems:
the main problem is the heavy stale cigarette smoke smell.
there's also crud on the inside, the mineral deposits that happen when water evaporates.

Any suggestions?

First I just washed it with Dawn.  Then let it soak a bit.
then rinsed.  
Then Clorox clean up.  
then rinsed
Then magic eraser.
then rinsed
Then oxyclean.  Both as a paste scrubbed on and a soak.
then rinsed.

there's to problems:
there's also crud on the inside, the mineral deposits that happen when water evaporates.

Any suggestions?

Get a cleaner made for hard water. I can't remember but I think there is one called CLR. They sell stuff for that at walmart.

I'm sure the smell will go away with a bit of time. I would let it soak in bleach water for a few days. Make sure to air it out well too.

First I just washed it with Dawn. Then let it soak a bit.
then rinsed.
Then Clorox clean up.
then rinsed
Then magic eraser.
then rinsed
Then oxyclean. Both as a paste scrubbed on and a soak.
then rinsed.

there's to problems:

Any suggestions?

soak the base in vinegar. it will get rids of the lime and calcium. probably the cigs too. not sure if adding another aromatic like fabreeze is beneficial

Quote:
I second the CLR or vinegar for the hard water.. and have a few more things you can try for the smoke smell/oils.

The smoke smell is probably on the outside? Try baking soda - get the incubator wet and sprinkle dry baking soda on it and scrub it around. Sometimes it will take impossible to remove oils/crud off tupperware cups... The other thing you can try is TSP - but that is really harsh. I have used TSP to remove smoke from windows and painted walls. It took the paint off too somewhat. If that was a styrofoam incubator it would be toast.

Last edited:
frow.gif
Long time no see! Welcome back! Well you beat me.... I only added 180 Sunday and 180 the week before and there were already eggs in there.... so you have some catching up to do. You are getting a late start! I have already been selling pullets and chick and have orders for chicks running out my ears
barnie.gif
in a good way LOL
Thanks, I am quite excited and I have a bunch of duck eggs as well as some chicken eggs I bought locally and a bunch more I can't bear to sell for eating eggs. Feed bills are out of control and I am trying to eliminate some breeds that eat too much. Of course, I started buying bunnies like they are jelly beans...
bun.gif

Just my 2 cents.... the hard water deposits.... try a pomous stone the kind you use on your feed. They will not damage porcelain in a toilet and they WORK. The smell.... I would use the oxine or Odaban. I can find that at Walmart now. When I first bought that product they told me it was the only cleaner that was USDA approved to use around food.... I looked for that on the label and don't see it, but it will remove odors. If you had Oxine you could put that in the bator like you would water for humidity and run the bator till the oxine was gone. I use it in my hatcher water and incubator water all the time, and the chicken's water to keep slime down.

Back
Top Bottom