Incubators Anonymous

You could try using Tupperware containers for humidity instead of the coffee lids? If you take a very small Tupperware container and cut a little slot in the top - stick a piece of sponge in the water with the end out (like a lamp wick) and fill it with water it will wick the water out slowly and keep the humidity constant without blocking the airflow..

I haven't hatched shipped eggs before, so I weighed them and marked them this time and will be watching them closely. I used to use a Hova-bator years ago but I can't use it where I live now (see signature line)... I used to hatch my own eggs, never needed any "tricks" like weighing or marking them before. I am amazed I used to get as good hatches as I did without knowing anything (usually 75% to 99%). Probably being in Santa Barbara with the ocean humidity and the wonderful weather helped too..
When I set up the incubator as a hatcher I set it up the week before so I could figure it out with the humidity. I did try containers of water and it would never get above 40% humidity. I then tried sponges with the containers of water and still would not go past 50%. That's when I got the idea to "take down" the inside water well walls and use coffee lids. They are shallow and have a decent ammount of water surface. Even after putting all 3 and filling those it still would not go past 55% so along with that I was using 2 small metal cat bowls filled with sponges and that seemed to get it up. This hatch because it seemed so high in humidity and I had more eggs than befor I did not have the room for the 2 bowls so I took one out but put in a wet sponge on the wire mesh floor it seemed to work, for humidity. BUT there were 2 chicks who zipped then for some reason got stuck to their shells and sacs because they did not hatch fast enough, I am assuming this is what everyone calls shrinkwrapping? My husband says that he thinks the humidity isn't registering properly and he wants to get a "wet bulb" humidity tester. In the begining I was haveing serious issues with too high humidity, I was so affraid of the "shrinkwrapping" I over did it. There is some room next to the coffee lids I can just redrill the holes. I want to also put the whole incubator on blocks to try and let more air flow in. The feet don't let it sit very high. I so wish I had caught this sooner but at least I caught it now and hopefully it will help, again thank you so much.

Originally Posted by ozexpat
I don't put any water in any of the incubators anymore except the hatcher. I was for the first few batches but then someone said maybe my problem with my Marans eggs was too high humidity during incubation becasue they need it dryer. So now I don't add any water, which has helped. My Marans have decent hatch rates now. The humidity stays around 16-20% I have not used local eggs yet but have hatched just a few of my own. But it is hard to test something with only a few eggs though. I plan on trying hatching more of my own this summer.

I do think that is is mainly my hatcher at this point. I can get most breeds to develop well, it's the hatching part that is such a dark hole of despair! I have not used the Genesis as a hatcher because of issues keeping the humidity up and steady. The LG still air has been pretty steady right along for the most part no flucuating temps or humidity levels. It is usually me that makes all the mistakes with humidity, opening up the incubator and all. All my hatch rates go from 0%-75% I got 3 out of 4 Turkey eggs develop, then hatch-from 2 separate batches. On the other side I can't seem to get any Cochin eggs to barely develop let alone hatch, 9 chicks out of 82 eggs-but 9 chicks is pretty good considering only 18 even developed! For all other breeds I have been getting 25-50%, I usually get atleast 50% to develop then 50% of that to hatch. My development rate has been slowly creeping to near 100% but my hatch rates stay the same, only getting 50% to hatch. Although technically speaking the numbers are getting better, instead of 1 or 2 chicks I am getting 8.

I will try the weighing too. But I am going to try and fix my air issues first. I just thought it would be fine as there are 8 tiny holes and both the bigger holes are open so didn't think the 4 tiny holes in the bottom being covered would be an issue. I have a small batch of Cochin eggs going in next Wenseday, so far only a few have developed so it will be a very small hatch, I beleve out of 18 and 6 eggs only 5-7 out of the 18 and only 1 out of the 6 have developed. It must be a cosmic joke I swear though, the 18 eggs are all Lemon Blue and the 6 were supposed to be all Buffs but the person only had 5 buffs so tossed in a Lemon Blue and it's the Lemon Blue that is developing! I can't get a buff Cochin to save my life!
I am just giving up on hatching Cochin eggs at this point though I think, it seems no matter where or who they come from they just don't do well shipped. A lot of the eggs get the saddling. I have tryed 82 eggs and out of those only got 9 chicks, 1 of which my stupid cat ate! But 9 chicks isn't too bad when you consider only 18 even developed. I have most of all the Cochin eggs I have bought so I don't think I am going to do eggs again for Cochins. I am just waiting on a few dozen more after that I will just stick with chicks and adults. Maybe if I get one of those super duper expensive incubators I will try again but that won't be for a very long time.

When I set up the incubator as a hatcher I set it up the week before so I could figure it out with the humidity. I did try containers of water and it would never get above 40% humidity. I then tried sponges with the containers of water and still would not go past 50%. That's when I got the idea to "take down" the inside water well walls and use coffee lids. They are shallow and have a decent ammount of water surface. Even after putting all 3 and filling those it still would not go past 55% so along with that I was using 2 small metal cat bowls filled with sponges and that seemed to get it up. This hatch because it seemed so high in humidity and I had more eggs than befor I did not have the room for the 2 bowls so I took one out but put in a wet sponge on the wire mesh floor it seemed to work, for humidity. BUT there were 2 chicks who zipped then for some reason got stuck to their shells and sacs because they did not hatch fast enough, I am assuming this is what everyone calls shrinkwrapping? My husband says that he thinks the humidity isn't registering properly and he wants to get a "wet bulb" humidity tester. In the begining I was haveing serious issues with too high humidity, I was so affraid of the "shrinkwrapping" I over did it. There is some room next to the coffee lids I can just redrill the holes. I want to also put the whole incubator on blocks to try and let more air flow in. The feet don't let it sit very high. I so wish I had caught this sooner but at least I caught it now and hopefully it will help, again thank you so much.

Snip...
Yes, when the membrane dries out before the chick has a chance to hatch that is called "shrinkwrapping" The higher humidity is supposed to stop that from happening.

Did you calibrate your hygrometer? There is a link somewhere on how to do it.. I believe it involves salt/water and testing. If you need it let me know and I will hunt it up.

Re-drill the holes and tell us how it goes...

these are easter egger X easter egger and EE over a Welsummer hen and the same over a Welsummer/leghorn cross, I haven't really looked close at them the past 10 days since I put them in the outside brooder, but I think my initial asessement is still about right, mostly boys.
if you hatch 10000, 5000 will be boys - you just have to increase your numbers
lau.gif

if you hatch 10000, 5000 will be boys - you just have to increase your numbers
lau.gif
except I hatched 36; at the moment there are only 3 that *might* be girls. That is only 8% female.....I am hoping I am wrong; I did have a batch of BOxBR and despite the fact that they are sex linked going by feathering and leg thickness I wasn't 100% positive that the gold ones were girls until they laid eggs. They still have the thickest legs of any pullets out there, including my BCM. So anything is possible. This batch hatched 4/8 so 3 weeks old tomorrow.

ETA:
Besides Oz I am out of coop space now! I have not been able to sell chicks and ducklings as fast as anticipated, so still have ducklings from two weeks ago and chicks and ducklings from last week plus about 24 chicks and 4 ducks in the bator waiting to come out.... Things have just not moved as fast as I planned, especially since my daughter had back surgery and I spent 3 weeks commuting 60 miles one way to help her out. That has slowed to a couple days a week, but the other days I have to go to work.... just not enough of me to go around.

Last edited:
Results of my hatch yesterday:

Vendor eggs #1
8 eggs received - 6 hatched (had some with severe saddle bag air sacs) (Only ordered 6 anyway....the two extras are the ones that didn't make it, right?)

Vendor eggs #2
10 eggs received - 10 eggs hatched

Vendor eggs #3
18 eggs received - two were broken - set 16. 7 eggs were infertile. 4 were early quitters (around day 7). only 2 hatched. I think I will write to vendor #3 with a constructive evaluation of her eggs. (They were extremely small. I thought at first she sent bantam eggs, but they weren't. I wondered how old her hens were. Also, what was the ratio of roosters to hens...as fertility seems to be an issue) By the way, I had examined the broken eggs, and they were not fertile either. Anyway, maybe she will send me some more>????

Here are some photos of some of them

Better photos of my new babies:

Silver Laced Wyandottes

Cochin mixes

Salmon Favorelles

Cochins
I lost track of whose photos I took so I gave up! hahahah. Love my new babies!

Will a chick recover if it rips it's yolk sac out or should I just put it down? I had one that I left in the hatcher because it didn't absorb it's yolk sac entirely. 2pm this afternoon it looked good but was still trailing some gunk. I did not want the other chicks to peck at it so I left it there thinking I would put it in with the others tonight. Tonight I checked and all the inside yolk sac is now on the wire floor and it is skinny.

Back
Top Bottom