Incubators Anonymous

No I just have the one picture I didn't want to over stress her out. I have had them have it outside before but usually they will suck it in before the others bother them. This one was huge to begin with and then when she pulled on it she made it bigger. Hopefully she will be okay. I am afraid to cut it because I still see veins on the outside of it. They are getting smaller the longer I wait so if they go away I can try and remove it or let it dry up. She is in a box with the other chicks right now, together but separate and it seems to make her feel better at least a little bit.

She is in a smaller separate box inside the larger bin the chicks are in so she can use the heat light. She is still wrapped in her washclothes (damp one inside dry one outside to keep her still) but I couldn't keep her still even in the wash clothes when she couldn't hear the others so I figured maybe if she could hear them she would settle down. Seems to be working so far, now we just have to see if she will absorb the yolk or not.

She just passed minutes ago. I didn't hold out much hope for her once I saw the other chick had popped it, but figured it was worth a try anyway. Poor thing. She was a natural hatching with no help so I was hoping it would be okay. :( So far there are 8 others out and another 8 to go so I am still hoping for the best. All the rest look healthy and energetic so far. It's just sad to lose one.

I posted a new thread about this chick that hatched this morning with yolk or intestines or both hanging out but no one has answered. Does anyone know if I should do something for this chick or just leave it alone to resolve itself?

Last edited:
I had 2 like this in my last hatch. I wiped the areas in iodine and then left it alone. One chick made a full recovery with no issues. The other died but I think it was because of other problems unrelated to the rear end.

I posted a new thread about this chick that hatched this morning with yolk or intestines or both hanging out but no one has answered. Does anyone know if I should do something for this chick or just leave it alone to resolve itself?

I'm sorry my eyes don't see as well as they used to . . . . .if it is yolk, it can heal over. Keep the area moist for best healing and keep separated from others , in a cup perhaps. I had one that didn't stand well and it seemed to have opened it's own belly even more with it's feet as it struggled to get up right. The intestines looked like a pale yellow-white coils. THe yolk looks like yellow-white smooth and flat, not like tiny tubes.

Back
Top Bottom