Incubators Anonymous

Hey guys, I've never hatched through an incubator before. A friend gave me her Little Giant styrofoam incubator with it's automatic egg turner but I have a problem... there is no tray (where you put the eggs in during "lockdown"). I have heard it called a "grill" before? Well anyways, can I just make one myself out of hardware cloth? Or do I need to order one of the internet? I have tried searching for one on either Amazon or Ebay with no luck. Can anybody help me?

Is the plastic tray there? Those you can and should order a new one. The grill you can make from a piece of 1/4" hardware cloth. I have never seen them for sale either. Does the LG have a fan? If not make life easier and get a kit and install it. Fan blowing up so as not to dry out your hatchers. I have a still air (no fan) LG that I use for hatching only.
Welcome to the eggcitment of the hatching world. Also I would recommend you learn the ins and out of hatching with local eggs and not spend lots of money on shipped eggs until you feel like you really know what you are doing.
You have Cochins? I need a roo. Looking for a Partridge (I know, good luck) but something other than the BBS that seems so popular.

Quote: lol what is it with partridge roos? I can't seem to find one either, tho I have 3 very nice girls. 2 are split mille fleur tho so they're in that pen, the other partridge girl is playing 'second fiddle' for my blrw bantam pair. LOL at least I can tell the eggs apart.

Are there any suggestions on the best first time incubator. Looking to start and need some direction. Would like one for 6-20 eggs and easier the better as I have a busy 15 month old. I also have 19 chicks on week 2. Jury still out if my Partrich Cochin is a girl or a boy!

My addiction has struck again. I just ordered 3 dozen Malaysian Serama bantam eggs from 3 different people. They should be here and ready to set by Thursday.

Hey guys, I've never hatched through an incubator before. A friend gave me her Little Giant styrofoam incubator with it's automatic egg turner but I have a problem... there is no tray (where you put the eggs in during "lockdown"). I have heard it called a "grill" before? Well anyways, can I just make one myself out of hardware cloth? Or do I need to order one of the internet? I have tried searching for one on either Amazon or Ebay with no luck. Can anybody help me?
I agree with zoo-- the grill is smaller than the 1/4 inch, you can also put on drawer liner if you can only get 1/4 inc material. I installed a PC fan as that was MUCH cheaper than the fan unit. NOt sure on the difference in output though.
Are there any suggestions on the best first time incubator. Looking to start and need some direction. Would like one for 6-20 eggs and easier the better as I have a busy 15 month old. I also have 19 chicks on week 2. Jury still out if my Partrich Cochin is a girl or a boy!
I use an LG and manage; I use a home made to and manage. THis is the perenniel question. LG is pretty cheap; cabinets much much more and everything in between. I have too many chickens with just my two as it is. LG is not an easy model to master.

I agree with zoo-- the grill is smaller than the 1/4 inch, you can also put on drawer liner if you can only get 1/4 inc material.  I installed a PC fan as that was MUCH cheaper than the fan unit. NOt sure on the difference in output though.
I use an LG and manage; I use a home made to and manage. THis is the perenniel question.  LG is pretty cheap; cabinets much much more and everything in between.  I have too many chickens with just my two as it is. LG is not an easy model to master.

Arielle is right, on both counts. I've never been able to find anything useable smaller than the 1/4" but the drawer liner is great to use in a hatcher especially.
On the LG, it is cheap but that equates to complicated. The Genesis is my pick. For a little over $100 you get a much easier to use unit. I have the older model without the digital read outs. I have not heard good things about any of the digitals, I prefer my aquarium therms anyway. My ReptiPro 5000 has good digital readouts but since I use mine differently than the intended use, I have therms on each of the custom shelfs.

Ok, thanks for all the replies! I will try to find some 1/4" hardware cloth. Did yall mean drawer liner as in the stuff you lay down on the bottom of an actual drawer to lay your kitchen ware on? The ones you would find at Bed Bath and Beyond? If so do you just lay that on the bottom and put the eggs on that or do put hardware cloth over it? And with that, do I lay it down directly on the drawer liner or do I put it where the egg turner was?
Sorry for all the questions I just want to do it right the first time
big_smile.png

Oh, and I looked again at the incubator and it is a Little Giant Still Air #9200 and is styrofoam. Don't know if this helps but might as well put it out there anyways. I saw on the box where it said the model # for the forced air.
Oh, and can I put bantam eggs in the regular-sized auto. turner or do I need the quail rack?

And with the partridge cochins, I only have a few white girls. Hoping to get a SQ or BQ pair this fall! I don't know if Cathy Gleason in Dallas has partridge but she has Plymouth rocks... if you are really serious about it I know that Bo Garrett raises some partridge. He lives in Oklahoma and is a member. Any other breeds you need? lol

Ok, thanks for all the replies! I will try to find some 1/4" hardware cloth. Did yall mean drawer liner as in the stuff you lay down on the bottom of an actual drawer to lay your kitchen ware on? The ones you would find at Bed Bath and Beyond? If so do you just lay that on the bottom and put the eggs on that or do put hardware cloth over it? And with that, do I lay it down directly on the drawer liner or do I put it where the egg turner was?
Sorry for all the questions I just want to do it right the first time
big_smile.png

Oh, and I looked again at the incubator and it is a Little Giant Still Air #9200 and is styrofoam. Don't know if this helps but might as well put it out there anyways. I saw on the box where it said the model # for the forced air.
Oh, and can I put bantam eggs in the regular-sized auto. turner or do I need the quail rack?

And with the partridge cochins, I only have a few white girls. Hoping to get a SQ or BQ pair this fall! I don't know if Cathy Gleason in Dallas has partridge but she has Plymouth rocks... if you are really serious about it I know that Bo Garrett raises some partridge. He lives in Oklahoma and is a member. Any other breeds you need? lol

No it is made from wire, you can find it at home depot in the garden section usually, they have 1/2 and 1/4 inch. I just lay my eggs on top of the wire tray for hatch, i do sometimes put paper towels in strips over the water wells that bumps up the humidity but only if i can't get it high enough without. Haven't used the LG for a while now though...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom