Incubators Anonymous

You guys are sooo lucky! I've already tried two small batches of eggs with my broody silkies and they all failed to hatch. These are my eggs. I'm trying to hatch out a small batch of my sizzle rooster with my Cochin/silkie mixed girls. I have a few eggs in my incubator but I'm pretty sure that are going to make it. I'm thinking that my eggs are freezing or almost freezing and that's why they aren't developing. Some did develope but just didn't make it to hatching. I suppose I should just keep putting eggs in the incubator.....

Sounds like something else is wrong. I've had 10 broody girls this winter alone. My silkies and Marans were each loaded with eggs when our lows were getting down to -12. The eggs did fine. I even found eggs cold TWICE when they got on the wrong nest. Maybe extra bedding, vitamins/minerals for mom before you collect eggs to make sure everyone is healthy. Babies are always healthier with a broody if you have one handy. I will let them sit on eggs and if I have some eggs in the incubator try to slip them under her right after hatching. Good luck!!
1f60a.png

Quote:
I get the rooster feed (20% protein without the added calcium/salt of layer feed) and ferment it for all ages, cost has gone down since they're selling more now, $13.50 per 50. I also keep a small bag of chick crumbles on hand for new babies but they're usually on FF within a couple days, since I usually put an older chick in there to teach them what it is.

Last edited:
well, I can vouch that cold temps can kill eggs...  with below 0 temps the eggs were freezing before I could collect them, nothing hatched, but the weeks prior and the weeks after all grew just fine... I have a few getting ready to hatch now.

Yes, for sure the cold kills eggs, but I've never set anything that froze or was almost frozen. I have hatched eggs from the fridge though. Have a Golden cuckoo Marans chick right now that was in the fridge a couple days.

She's adorable and healthy :)

My wife says I have fallen over the edge......Here is my latest project....
It is far from done. no fan, no water fill line, no secondary heat source. But I really like the re-purposed mini fridge, the inside is clean white plastic one piece shell, that will be easy to disinfect, the outside shell is thin powder coated steel, with all the fridge parts out it is very light, and super insulated with high density foam, pic one is the original orientation, I will use the back of the fridge as the bottom. and a 40 egg auto turner will fit nice. can't wait till I set a batch in my new bator. ( P.S. the controller reads C degrees only. 99.5 = 37.5 )

One of them looks like it quit about a week ago. 2 have a lot of clear space at the bottom still. The two I know are good, I could see moving like crazy when I candled.

How much do y'all pay for chick starter? I just bought 3lbs at $.80/ lb. I didn't want to buy a big bag in case nothing hatches, but I wanted to have some on hand at least in case they do.
Personally I just use Nutrena all flock for all My birds. I blend it in the processor some to make it smaller and mix in some non medicated starter about 33% works great for me. I put dirt in the brooder to , seems to help build immunity

Last edited:
My wife says I have fallen over the edge......Here is my latest project....
It is far from done. no fan, no water fill line, no secondary heat source. But I really like the re-purposed mini fridge, the inside is clean white plastic one piece shell, that will be easy to disinfect, the outside shell is thin powder coated steel, with all the fridge parts out it is very light, and super insulated with high density foam, pic one is the original orientation, I will use the back of the fridge as the bottom. and a 40 egg auto turner will fit nice. can't wait till I set a batch in my new bator. ( P.S. the controller reads C degrees only. 99.5 = 37.5 )

I am impressed.

I use some really expensive bubble wrap. If I where to pay retail for it it is about $40-60 a box so that would be about $3 for an average size order of eggs. I didn't pay that for what I use, but I might have to at some point but I will give buyers the option of the expensive bubble wrap or reg. Egg don't move with my bubble wrap. It is COHESIVE and sticks to itself , great for shipped eggs.

Your bubble wrap in INSANE lol. I still remember trying to unstick that stuff. I like pouches or meeks method wrapping. I am waiting to fins a million HUGE plastic eggs after easter however, those were the best shipped eggs I got.
me too 3x7 bubble wrap pouches. they work great.
I scored on the last ebay purchase.
I got 500 for like 25.00 and I think they gave me way more lol
nice!

You guys are sooo lucky! I've already tried two small batches of eggs with my broody silkies and they all failed to hatch. These are my eggs. I'm trying to hatch out a small batch of my sizzle rooster with my Cochin/silkie mixed girls. I have a few eggs in my incubator but I'm pretty sure that are going to make it. I'm thinking that my eggs are freezing or almost freezing and that's why they aren't developing. Some did develope but just didn't make it to hatching. I suppose I should just keep putting eggs in the incubator.....

Not sure if this is the place but I'll ask...What do you all think of the Farm Innovators model 4200 pro series? I made my own incubator last year and while I did get some eggs to hatch I'd like something that was a bit more set and forget. Mine requires constant adjustments that I couldn't always do because of my work schedule. My local TSC has FI for $130 and it includes the turner. I would of course buy extra thermometer/hydrometer for readings as I've read almost no incubators included ones are accurate. Any thoughts?
If you are still having problems at the end of feburary try plucking feathers and giving the chickens vegamite. Its an easy way to get very digestable bs and es in the diet that can help fertility. Look at the fluffy butts and see if they are feather challenged for fertility first however.

One of them looks like it quit about a week ago. 2 have a lot of clear space at the bottom still. The two I know are good, I could see moving like crazy when I candled.

How much do y'all pay for chick starter? I just bought 3lbs at $.80/ lb. I didn't want to buy a big bag in case nothing hatches, but I wanted to have some on hand at least in case they do.

I hate you all. Our chick starter is 20-22 a bag atm, its insane. I feed 20% or over to all my birds, so I would just buy the beg and feed it to everyone.
Oh, so jealous of all y'all that have eggs in your incubators! I have hatching envy! My geese, ducks, chickens, are all laying and I'm dying to stick a *few* (evil chuckle) in the 'ole 'bator.

Blessings -

~ Aspen
Soon! Your weather will be semi normal soon dear! Then eggs, eggs, eggs for you!!

Back
Top Bottom