Incubators Anonymous

oh poop! I just had a little day old polish that was like that... I did all the things for him, put in a coffee cup nest, gave vitamin and sugar water, electrolytes... he didn't make it thru the night.
sad.png
was like he was brain damaged.

I don't like using lights, because it doesn't allow them a normal day/night cycle. heat emitters are ceramic heating elements that screw into a light fixture.
inside yes outside no.
I use a red light which in the day is much lighter at night it darkens when the sun goes down.
I can't trust the heat emitters since I can not see if they are actually working. gets too cold outside.

been working great for years. Heat emitters are great though and agree but are not right for my set up

pictures from ebay auctions... I use either the 30-egg flat or 12 or 18 egg cartons (lid and flap removed) depending how many eggs are hatching.

the Hovabator will hold a 30 and a 12 if necessary, but I've had chicks try to go between them and the wall and get stuck. usually I set them roughly in the middle of the hatcher.
these work great and cut down on the mess

I am going to have them on a thermostat..... I think. I didn't think about not being able to tell if they are working..... AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH
lol. honestly I am sure either way would work great

I know I have hatched too many chicks to count over the years and when I walk down and ask my chickens they don't complain about the Red light days from there youth.
My Penedesenca still lay about 200 eggs a year like they are supposed to and are still extremely resistant breed like they are supposed to be. Now in the Fish tank in the house I would not mind having a 2 bulb set up.
65-75 watt Plant light for the day and a heat emitter for the night that would be a real good plan. I need a larger fish tank though.

the new room I will be moving them too will be warmer than where they are now. so if one of the 3 where to go out I think they would be ok.

oh poop! I just had a little day old polish that was like that... I did all the things for him, put in a coffee cup nest, gave vitamin and sugar water, electrolytes... he didn't make it thru the night.
sad.png
was like he was brain damaged.

yes, rhis little guy is not going to make it.. checked in on him and i think he is one that should just never have hatched.. I hate these moments but i guess it's just nature taking it's course..

otherwise having a fabulous morning, making carrot and papaya wine (first time i have tried to make up my own recipe) .. my daughter is making soap, and this afternoon... Tomato wine and bottling of peach wine!!!

Back
Top Bottom