Incubators Anonymous

The air cells of my last & current batch of shipped eggs are terrible. I let them sit for 24 hours before incubating. Also didn't turn for first 3 days of incubation.
Last batch:
All were detached when arrived (looked wiggly like Jello). Some turned into very strange saddle shaped; some never reattached & had wiggly air cell lines on day 18. 10 out of 15 made it to lockdown because the embryos were large & moving. Only 3 hatched - all within one hour. Only those 3 pipped. The remaining seven, when opened, were fully formed. Only one of those didn't absorb the yolk.

Current batch (different seller & breed):
Again, Jello -like wiggling air cells on all 12 eggs. Yesterday was day 7. Air cells wiggly but slightly improved. 2 clears, 2 look slightly less developed (possible quitters). Saw movement in 8 eggs. (Saw movement in 10 out of 10 backyard eggs. They are my control group hatched under the same conditions.) So far, I'm not liking the odds of my shipped eggs. I may keep them upright for hatching this time to see if it helps. Any other suggestions?

I have been having the same exact problems, completely formed chicks just no piping or have internal pips. with just a handful all popping out within hours of each other.

Turns out the chicken eggs I received that I thought were supposed to be my quail, were actually sent by a mystery person...because the seller of the quail haven't even sent the eggs yet due to the fourth. I may be losing my mind lol... I am 99.9% positive that I did not order more eggs other than those quail.

Turns out the chicken eggs I received that I thought were supposed to be my quail, were actually sent by a mystery person...because the seller of the quail haven't even sent the eggs yet due to the fourth. I may be losing my mind lol... I am 99.9% positive that I did not order more eggs other than those quail.

You remind me of me.
gig.gif

Ok. Googled it, & it was pretty simple. Duh! Lol
Here's my poor little Frizzled Sultan out of the hatcher with yolk and shell attached like concrete. The night I helped him out of the shell I had to soak him with wet cloth to get his "chin" off of his chest, and 1 wing unglued from his head!

Now fresh from a warm bath, towel dried, & ready to RUN! He's so tiny, I had to put the stopper in the bathroom sink because I was afraid I'd drop him down the drain!!! LMBO!

Other than his herniated umbilical, seems to be doing well. Back in the hatcher now to dry, then I'll put some meds on his belly.
smile.png

This reminds me of "Miracle" - a 3rd grade classroom chick that I assisted hatch. While the kids were at lunch, I helped free it from 24 hours of being trapped in the shell. The shell was glued to the wing & I was so fearful of tearing skin off - or worse. After a warm soaking, I popped it back into the incubator & hoped for the best. The teacher called after school & told me the chick was walking around the incubator. Miracle needed some extra care from pastey butt, but several helpers were more than willing to handle the little chick. Miracle was eventually given to a 1st grader's family & is still doing well. I must say that with all the attention, they all ended up becoming very tame.

Faraday where are you located in IL ? in a couple weeks i will have dorking chicks coming out my ears I have 3 hens that have gone broody ,staggered ,and in the same nest box..and the others just climb on top to add their eggs they have to have 45 eggs

I have 11 of 20 eggs hatched. I had 15 due today and 5 silkies due tomorrow. The silkies are hatching a day early for me.

I had 13 shipped eggs, 9 made it to lockdown and 7 hatched.... 5 pullets and 2 cockerels PERFECT! Now the Rhodebars..... all 3 were cockerels
roll.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom