Incubators Anonymous

So, I was told that I only have to be NPIP to ship day old chicks IF they are crossing state lines?? Is this true?? I have family, in my state, that wants some, but would need to ship them.

My hatcher is HUGE. I can do a couple of hatches at the same time. Life is just easier if I set eggs just once a week. I have hatching baskets. I put each set of eggs in its own basket. i can do more than one breed if they don't look alike... for example WL in with BLRW. But I can't do BLRW and Rhodebars or Partridge Rocks.... they are all chipmunk striped so just keeps confusion down.

I no longer hatch eggs like this. I use egg trays and keep the eggs upright. I also use shelf liner in the baskets now. I put a paper towel under and the the liner. It keeps splay legs down.

These are awesome ideas to keep the chicks separated. And WOW! That's a huge hatcher! Great work!

This is my first hatch, first incubator. I downloaded an app for my android phone called Hatchabatch. It's not terribly fancy, but it can track multiple batches and puts alerts on my Google calendar for candling, lockdown, etc. Everyday it has a note as to what is happening with the embryo. Oh, it also has presets for different species and custom settings.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.bellsouth.hatchabatch&hl=en

That sounds like a fun app. The daily notes remind me of the weekly pregnancy calendar I read while waiting for my first-born.

My hatcher is HUGE. I can do a couple of hatches at the same time. Life is just easier if I set eggs just once a week. I have hatching baskets. I put each set of eggs in its own basket. i can do more than one breed if they don't look alike... for example WL in with BLRW. But I can't do BLRW and Rhodebars or Partridge Rocks.... they are all chipmunk striped so just keeps confusion down.

I no longer hatch eggs like this. I use egg trays and keep the eggs upright. I also use shelf liner in the baskets now. I put a paper towel under and the the liner. It keeps splay legs down.

WOW
ep.gif
I am totally jealous
droolin.gif
I also do the papertowel and shelf liner to avoid splay leg...had that happen for the first time ever in march
sad.png
and found this helped prevent it from happening again!

A friend of mine and I just had a great debate/discussion over hatching laying down vs upright. Can you tell me why you did, why you do and how it worked out for you? I have never hatched upright, but as you can see, I have eggs going in the hatcher very soon and would love to hear your experience! And how do you clean the shelf liner?

Last edited:
I like that the eggs don't roll around. Easier clean up. I think the hatch rate is higher but you could lose some to upside down pips if you don't check regularly. The shelf liner I have a bucket of clean and a bucket of dirty they just go in the laundry. The plastic hatching trays have been know to go in the dishwasher too.

Back
Top Bottom