Incubators Anonymous

One CCL external pip!

I have had two bright blue eggs that pipped, but didn't zip. The first one I assisted. There was virtually no blood. It went really well. This is my first incubation ever, so I'm really a virgin at this all.

The shell was soooo thick compared to the lighter blue one that pipped and zipped and hatch within about 2 hours. I'm glad I helped because it was not doing the zipping itself. I have a second bright blue egg that was in the same situation. I've peeled back the egg shell around the pip to about halfway down. There was a spot with blood that came through the membrane. It just pooled; it wasn't free flowing. I put it back in the incubator, in the egg flat with some moist face-cleaned towellettes around it and under it. I'm giving it some time to absorb the capillaries before I try to help again. This eggshell was really thick, too.

I have a bantam blue wheaten that just started peeping, but no pip. Does that mean it's internally pipped? I hope it manages. I also have a Silkie egg that I candled because something was smelling in the incubator. It looked fully formed, but no movement. I pipped the aircell end and there was no movement whatsoever. I put it back and am going to give it some time. I had an olive egger yesterday that had air sacs at both end and was really light. That one had mold in it and seemed to have died a while ago.

I just replaced the cover and am going to go back to my reading for grad school. Appropriately, I'm reading Frankenstein. I may just call myself the Modern Chicken Prometheus.

Crested Cream Legbar:

Splash Amerecauna:

Last edited:
@ocap Thank you kindly I appreciate being on this thread and being heard :) This current set I am on day 18 I have documented finally and Ill post when its done. We pushed the limits on the Incuview and manually turning 39 eggs started with 44. So many breeds too this is going to be fun I am getting nervous... again I always do around day 18!

@sonderah sorry to hear about your problem... its so hard to keep things 100% lockdown re bio security. So hard.

@ocap Thank you kindly I appreciate being on this thread and being heard :) This current set I am on day 18 I have documented finally and Ill post when its done. We pushed the limits on the Incuview and manually turning 39 eggs started with 44. So many breeds too this is going to be fun I am getting nervous... again I always do around day 18!

I am decreasing my breeds from six to three this fall, way to much cost in keeping the breeds separated and safe from predators at the same time. The three breeds that have won this 18 month contest are Australorp, Buff Brahma and silkies for broody hens. I might eventually keep only two, time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom