Incubators Anonymous

Well 2 days ago I was down to only about 2 dozen eggs in my incubator. I've already maxed out my lyon, have enough eggs sitting on my counter to max out my backup bator, and now have 10+ on the way because I couldn't stand to pass up splash ameracaunas again. Oh yeah and I was looking into some gorgeous Cochin eggs too.
barnie.gif
I have GOT to quit looking at the auction threads
gig.gif

I also have a similar problem, but in my case I'm using a combination of hovabator (3 quail rails, 4 standard rails) and a sportsman 1502. both are full. eggs will start hatching on Wed, then every couple days from there. I set many more eggs initially but because I'd had problems with the controller (wouldn't turn or wouldn't stop turning) I held off setting eggs longer than intended originally.

the plan from here out is to hatch on a weekly basis to get my own numbers up and to have chicks to sell. my own hens are laying plenty, I may have to just start selling hatching eggs to keep from setting everything I get. LOL

The auction threads should have a locking option on them for those of us, and by us I mean me, that have zero self control. Gamble quail, splash ameracaunas, chocolate silkies, lavender silkied ameracaunas... :barnie

well, a couple days late, but here was the tally... 22 sfh, 18 blrw and 25 Dorkings!!! oh and 10 coturnix to boot!

I sold a bunch of the sfh, all but 2 of the blrw and kept all the Dorkings for ME!. someone's interested in the coturnix and lots interested in the Dorkings but they're not going anywhere for a while yet.

3 more trays yet to hatch, 3 empty ones I can fill!

anyone have any extra gqf standard egg trays they want to sell?
wink.png

I'm just wondering, how long can u store fertile eggs, before incubation?

normally 10 days...my thoughts...i know people that have pulled eggs out of fridges and have kept them for 30 days and still hatched out of them..not as much success tho.....

also i am hatching jumbo quail, pheasants, and chickens....as we speak...four quail are out...so the brooders are cleaned and ready to go

I have three GQF Sportman's and one dickey incubator and a homemade hatcher. I try to use one incubator per week so one is being cleaned after the chicks hatch. The last three years have been the pits in hatching success. I never had problems before and about to toss them all into the garbage.

Here is what I have done...

All turners have been replaced turners, new back up wafers and I put in an electric thermostats. Purchased a new temp gage the one they call the egg.

Problem I am having is I have great fertility but the temps keep jumping all over the place that I am not getting good hatches. I can’t get the temp to stay the same throughout the hatching process. If I leave the temp gage on the top it will read 99.5 to 99.7. So I put eggs in and it will stay there for a good solid week with very little fluctuation then it either jumps to 100.5 to 101 or drops down to 98 or so. Every tray reads at a different temp dropping down by an average of 1 degree per tray until I get to the hatching tray where it is usually at 96-97.

I have never had problems before. I put eggs in and chicks come out. So looking for some help or suggestions.

I have three GQF Sportman's and one dickey incubator and a homemade hatcher. I try to use one incubator per week so one is being cleaned after the chicks hatch. The last three years have been the pits in hatching success. I never had problems before and about to toss them all into the garbage.

All turners have been replaced turners, new back up wafers and I put in an electric thermostats. Purchased a new temp gage the one they call the egg.

Problem I am having is I have great fertility but the temps keep jumping all over the place that I am not getting good hatches. I can’t get the temp to stay the same throughout the hatching process. If I leave the temp gage on the top it will read 99.5 to 99.7. So I put eggs in and it will stay there for a good solid week with very little fluctuation then it either jumps to 100.5 to 101 or drops down to 98 or so. Every tray reads at a different temp dropping down by an average of 1 degree per tray until I get to the hatching tray where it is usually at 96-97.

I have never had problems before. I put eggs in and chicks come out. So looking for some help or suggestions.

If the temp is uneven that way, you may need to look into replacing the fans.

Just so you know I don't know anything! I feel bad for you and wish I could help! Is there a chance that the new thermostats where faulty? Where they the same thermostat bought at the same place? I hope someone else will chime in that knows more and will be able to help you!
hugs.gif

The last three years have been the pits in hatching success. I never had problems before and about to toss them all into the garbage.

How are your incubators set-up?

Meaning are they in a unheated/cooled building?

Are they setting on the floor or raised?

Did you change any of this 3 years ago?

When the temp drops is it usually when its colder inside the room?

When it rises is it warmer in the room?

Did you put in electronic thermostats in all your incubators----If so are you stil using the waffers as a back-up?

How big is your hatcher?

I never hatch in my Incubators---I always use the hatcher which can hold 250 +or - eggs.

Answer these questions and I will be glad to offer some help----If I can!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom