Incubators Anonymous

Well I guess you guys are way out of my league! 950 eggs in the incubator that doesn't sound like backyard chickens to me. So I guess it's silly to say how well my 1602N hova-bator did for me. 45 to 50 lbs. of food a day sounds more like a business. Sorry I ever wasted your time bragging about my good hatch of 10 out 12.

You didn't waste my time. I like hearing from ALL the poultry people, whether you have 1 bird or thousands.

10 out of 12 eggs is a great hatch rate! I assume you have your incubator in a spot that keeps a fairly steady ambient temperature. That's my problem. Styros don't do real good for me because I don't have a place to put them where the temperature stays stable.

sssharon: Don't consider yourself less of a poultry keeper b/c you're doing a smaller hatch. You're doing what works for YOU. And, you're having fun. You, are... having fun... are you not? That's all that matters! When it ceases to be fun, then you can call it a business! And your hatch of 10/12 is an excellent hatch! Enjoy your chickies.

Well I guess you guys are way out of my league! 950 eggs in the incubator that doesn't sound like backyard chickens to me. So I guess it's silly to say how well my 1602N hova-bator did for me. 45 to 50 lbs. of food a day sounds more like a business. Sorry I ever wasted your time bragging about my good hatch of 10 out 12.
But sssharon It is back-yard chickens, that went above the single styrofoam incubator. A year ago I had 1 styrofoam--Little Giant----still air and I hatched some pheasant eggs, then a few chicks, then I got another styrofoam------got hooked on hatching----just like alot of others. Sure I did step into it FAST. Its been a intersting year, A lot of work.

Your 10/12 are very important to you and a Very, Very good hatch---- "I" Love to read about your hatching as well as everyone else. I Love trying to help and learn---which is why I am here------you for sure are not wasting my time. I guess my back-yard chickens have turned into a small backyard business in a way because I do sell the chicks I do not want to keep. I sold a couple, then sold a couple dozen, then sold a couple hundred, etc, etc.

Please keep the good post coming!!

When are you going to send one to me?
big_smile.png
LC, I do wish you were close by-----I would help you build a big incubator.

NOPE!!!! I am right in your league! I have exactly 4 backyard hens...all bantam cochins because that is all I am zoned to have where I live. I hatch usually once a year in my classroom(quails, ducks and chicks of course!) for our science and then find them homes with people looking to add to their flock. 2 hovabators that I have had for at least 9 years now have worked well for me each year! Congrats on your hatch...you should ALWAYS brag when you have success because it is what we all strive for, no matter our purpose in hatching
thumbsup.gif
It is my dream to expand when I can, but for now my little flock of four girls bring me joy EVERYDAY
love.gif
Hoping yours do the same!!!!

Thank you to everyone for the nice replies and words of encouragement. I guess I was having a bad day yesterday or something because that was kind of a complaining thing I did. I love reading all of the post on your thread. And yes I do really enjoy my chickens. I have four eggs under a Broody right now that should be hatching today and I have 16 more eggs in my incubator and 15 of those eggs are fertile so I guess I actually have 15. These are hatching eggs that I got from a girl in Louisiana and hopefully I'll end up with a good hatch on them, I'll keep you posted. Thanks again everyone!

Thank you to everyone for the nice replies and words of encouragement. I guess I was having a bad day yesterday or something because that was kind of a complaining thing I did. I love reading all of the post on your thread. And yes I do really enjoy my chickens. I have four eggs under a Broody right now that should be hatching today and I have 16 more eggs in my incubator and 15 of those eggs are fertile so I guess I actually have 15. These are hatching eggs that I got from a girl in Louisiana and hopefully I'll end up with a good hatch on them, I'll keep you posted. Thanks again everyone!
Good luck with your hatch. This is a hobby that comes in all different levels! Bigger isn't always better.

Lady cat my incubator temperature goes back-and-forth from 100 to 102 and then back down to 100, do you think that's okay?I hate to mess with it and figured as long as it doesn't go any higher than 102 that it's probably okay. What does anybody think about that.I just keep a constant watch over it. If I wake up in the middle of the night which I usually do that's the first thing I do is check on the incubator to see where the temperatures at. I'm married to my incubator.

Everything is good!! I Wish You the best on your future Hatches------Just Be careful------Hatching Can Become addictive!!! I am trying to slow down myself-----just put 150+ eggs in the hatcher---due to hatch Wednesday, but next week will be less----after months of using up to 4 cabinet incubators--I am finally down to just one cabinet incubator as of yesterday and hope to have it empty in 3 weeks----with no plans of turning any back on for at least for a couple months------well the Wife has some Mottled Japs she wants me to keep hatching a few of those eggs---probably just use a styrofoam for those few----unless someone comes up and wants me to hatch a few hundred for them------LOL--------See its HARD to Say NO MORE----LOL. Good Luck!!

Lady cat my incubator temperature goes back-and-forth from 100 to 102 and then back down to 100, do you think that's okay?I hate to mess with it and figured as long as it doesn't go any higher than 102 that it's probably okay. What does anybody think about that.I just keep a constant watch over it. If I wake up in the middle of the night which I usually do that's the first thing I do is check on the incubator to see where the temperatures at. I'm married to my incubator.
sssharon I would have to look---so just save me that time------are you using a still air or have a fan in it? Is your thermometer close/below to the heating rod? If so move it away from the rod(heating element) and see if it gets more steady. If you are using a still air you are probably ok-------if it has a fan "I" would turn it down just a little.

Back
Top Bottom