Incubators Anonymous

I searched stx 1000, and it turned out I needed to put stC 1000, in case anybody else is trying to find it.
smile.png

Anybody here build their own styro? Any links to share or ideas?tips?tricks?
I made my own it's doing pretty good. So far have 4 outta 8 have hatched and 1 is pipped and 3 more supposed to hatch in a few days. Is a very very simple design.
Just a styro cooler, socket, 40 watt bulb, aluminum tray and shelf liner, sponges for humidity. have a fan blowing from outside to regulate the temp and keep it cooler. Also have a hole the lid

97 eggs are hatching in lockdown. This is my third hatch. It appears that the first wave of chicks all zip out really quick. The second 8 chicks or so wave seems like they pip a hole then either die or get stuck. The rest of the chicks after those are staggered but hatch. This all happens on day 20-21. I still get slot of eggs that does not hatch.
The humidity is from 70-75%. Any question why the chicks pip a hole and die. It does not appear to be too much fluid in the egg as this hatch looks way drier than the rest. My last hatches were all slimy hatching out.
Is this an air issue or humidity?

Last edited:
97 eggs are hatching in lockdown. This is my third hatch. It appears that the first wave of chicks all zip out really quick. The second 8 chicks or so wave seems like they pip a hole then either die or get stuck. The rest of the chicks after those are staggered but hatch. This all happens on day 20-21. I still get slot of eggs that does not hatch.
The humidity is from 70-75%. Any question why the chicks pip a hole and die. It does not appear to be too much fluid in the egg as this hatch looks way drier than the rest. My last hatches were all slimy hatching out.
Is this an air issue or humidity?

Hi There! I am no expert, but I have found that the healthiest chicks hatch out first and quickly. The chicks that hatch a day or two later often have trouble getting out of the shell and are not the healthiest babies. I have assisted some that have done OK....others have had leg issues or do not survive past day 3-5. So not sure there is an issue with your hatching, may just be development of the chick and health/ability to hatch successfully. Again, I am no expert, just my thoughts
smile.png

That is what I am finding out. The ones that are hatching out later are not in the best of shape with leg or feet problems.

This is my Ameraucana chick. She or he is five days old and I'm wondering if anybody has any thoughts on what sex it is. I know I should probably go on the Ameraucana line but I wanted to do the incubators anonymous. She's the only chick I have out of 21 eggs. Very frustrating time. I had the incubator going great, temperature was good, just a bad batch of eggs. Anyway what is anybody think I think it's a real cute chick myself,be fun to see what it ends up looking like

Stryker, I have hatched eggs before at 70° humidity Temp, I never went any higher than 70. I had a horrible incubation this time. I had three eggs left in the incubator out of 21 and two of them didn't make it and I just ended up with one check. When I opened up the eggs it look like the chicks were fully developed and they just didn't make it. I had my humidity set at 65 to 70 so I am no authority on this either I have no idea what went wrong there. I did start out with a rotten egg in the hatching eggs and ended up with a couple of others in there,one had exploded in the incubator so maybe it passed on bacteria and it just killed them and I only ended up with one.

Am I crazy or does this look like a fertile egg? We got rid of the roo 3+ months ago. The cockerels are only 15-16 wks old. Yes, they're crowing, but I've never seen them try to flirt with a hen. The younger "teens" are in a tractor all day & only with the flock at bedtime. (Not much opportunity) I doubt my big girls would even allow a young teen male to get close.

Opinions please
:

Am I crazy or does this look like a fertile egg? We got rid of the roo 3+ months ago. The cockerels are only 15-16 wks old. Yes, they're crowing, but I've never seen them try to flirt with a hen. The younger "teens" are in a tractor all day & only with the flock at bedtime. (Not much opportunity) I doubt my big girls would even allow a young teen male to get close.

Opinions please
:
looks fertile to me in the bottom picture. But, I can't completely be sure... Looks like a bulls eye.

Back
Top Bottom