Incubators Anonymous

Ok, This is what I have done so far! I have eggs in my cabinet bator. I have taken temp at the right hand side on top holds at 99.5. Its closest to the thermostate! I have Golden Pheasant,turkey and chicken eggs. One shelf is pretty much full! There where 3 clear pheasant,two clear turkey and three clear chicken eggs at day 12. The rest showed movement!

Last edited:
In a cabinet It should read 99.5? How many readings should I take? Which do I go by?
99.5 is the ideal temp, but you are checking each level with the "same" thermometer so you can see if something needs to change. If all places read about the same----that's good. If after reading the different places and all read about the same but the temp is to high or to low-----then you will have to make a adjustment. If there is several degree's difference in these spots---you will need to figure out why.

Fortieth anniversary coming up fast and trying to find homes for chicks from last night's hatch (100% hatch from my homebuilt woohoo) and a hatch 3 weeks ago. I am so not going to even look an egg for the next 2 weeks but I am going to build 2 more incubators.

Last edited:
My bator is huge. I have 2 fans and take temp at the top and bottom. They are usually only about 1 degree difference. The fans do a good job of keeping temps consistent. In my hatcher temps vary about 2-3 degrees BUT I am using 3 different thermometers. (the bator is just one with a probe at the top). I don't worry as much about the temp in the hatcher, more about the humidity there. 98.8 is OK and they might hatch a day later than they should with no ill effects. 100 is ok too and they might hatch a little early. Personally I would be ok with the 98.8 so that if there is a spike in temps it will not kill them if it goes up 2 degrees. At 100 if there is a spike you might have a problem. It really is what ever you are comfortable with.

Well lockdown started today and I already have one of my Russian Orloff chicks zipping it's way out
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom