Incubators Anonymous

fl.gif

I havent had any luck bandageing her up in the right postion she wiggles out and her leg still flops in and under her. Im tempted to take her to my vet and have him put a cast on her so that her bones solidify in the right postion if nothing else. I just dont know how much he would charge me and if it would work. BUt me doing soft bandages isnt holding it in the right place and for very long she is extreamly squirmy and the first few days are so crucal as there bones and muscles and everything are very plible ect. I wont give up if she will jsut try , I dont mind haveing a baby that needs time but she seems to be loseing a little of her spunk Im guessing at 3 days old her yolk energy is gone and she will wear down faster if I cant get her to eat. She will drink for me and take maybe a grain or two of crumble but thats it so far Im hopeing its cuase she wasnt truely hungry yet. Send prayers and good vibes her way please .

Just locked down my 1 JG that I had left out of 11 eggs. I knew the other looked iffy the other day. Opened the bator lid & had a stinker. How in the world do I deal with 1 chick assuming it hatches? I've never been in that situation before. They usually have each other. My other chicks are too old to accept it without hurting it, probably.

Welcome aboard Buckgawk. I love to hatch but don't have the room or the customers to hatch large quantities or lots of varieties. I would love to be able to do that one day. But when I am able to hatch, I have all 3 of my bators full. Poor hubby just shakes his head. He doesn't understand.
i would say if you've got any chicks under 3 weeks old, they should do just fine for company. my newest (2 self blue 2 black cochins and 2 pheasants) are living with an older sib (self blue cockerel about 3 weeks old) and a mille fleur d'uccle the same age, plus a much larger/older chick that was with momma and has, i'm guessing, a head trauma. found her flopping around on the ground yesterday. think one of the older birds pecked her in the head. she had a teeny scab behind her ear. doing a bit better, not flopping so hard, will eat and drink when you hold her up, but her balance is gone and she tries to flip over backwards.

i would say if you've got any chicks under 3 weeks old, they should do just fine for company. my newest (2 self blue 2 black cochins and 2 pheasants) are living with an older sib (self blue cockerel about 3 weeks old) and a mille fleur d'uccle the same age, plus a much larger/older chick that was with momma and has, i'm guessing, a head trauma. found her flopping around on the ground yesterday. think one of the older birds pecked her in the head. she had a teeny scab behind her ear. doing a bit better, not flopping so hard, will eat and drink when you hold her up, but her balance is gone and she tries to flip over backwards.
I've been trying to introduce some 4 week old GLP and JG in with my 9 week old brown layers. They don't particularly care for them, but will tolerate them. I've tried to introduce some bantams that are 4 weeks with them also and they want nothing to do with the bantams. I have to keep a close eye on them. Usually, I let the older chicks free range while the younger chicks are in the run pecking around. I've tried to let the older chicks in, but that is disastrous for the younger chicks especially the bantams. I'll just have to wait a little longer on the bantams.

I've been trying to introduce some 4 week old GLP and JG in with my 9 week old brown layers. They don't particularly care for them, but will tolerate them. I've tried to introduce some bantams that are 4 weeks with them also and they want nothing to do with the bantams. I have to keep a close eye on them. Usually, I let the older chicks free range while the younger chicks are in the run pecking around. I've tried to let the older chicks in, but that is disastrous for the younger chicks especially the bantams. I'll just have to wait a little longer on the bantams.
Maybe my birds are unique, but I add birds of all ages into my coop all the time with little to no problem. I usually try to do it at night or as the birds are going in to roost. That way everyone wakes up together in the morning & just kinda thinks everyone has always been there. I get a few squabbles on occasion when a new bird thinks it should be head of the coop & Ruby & Lily have to take them down a notch or 2, but other than that no real problems. Squabbles are short lived & rarely amount to more than a few yanked feathers.

Maybe my birds are unique, but I add birds of all ages into my coop all the time with little to no problem. I usually try to do it at night or as the birds are going in to roost. That way everyone wakes up together in the morning & just kinda thinks everyone has always been there. I get a few squabbles on occasion when a new bird thinks it should be head of the coop & Ruby & Lily have to take them down a notch or 2, but other than that no real problems. Squabbles are short lived & rarely amount to more than a few yanked feathers.

That's what I do. very few problems but the silkie roo gives me that look like I'm not fooling anyone.
on a side note I've started the NPIP process and should be ready to go soon
fl.gif

That's what I do. very few problems but the silkie roo gives me that look like I'm not fooling anyone.
on a side note I've started the NPIP process and should be ready to go soon
fl.gif
My Silkies, roos included, actually will brood my chicks when I toss them out in the Silkie coop. I've caught 2 different roos sitting on half grown (3-6 week old) chicks. It's comical
gig.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom