1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

INCUBATORS FOR SERAMAS

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by serama hen, Sep 29, 2012.

1. serama hen

serama hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    Nothern New Jersey
    i want an incubator for serama eggs what is best

2. ladydoc1992

ladydoc1992 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2011
    Hartsville, SC
    I have been raising seramas for about a year now, and have hatched all my chicks from an incubator. I have had 3 different incubators, but by far the best one is the Genesis 1588 for a good hatch rate.
    I know a bunch of other serama breedersthat also use this same incubator. It's not terribly expensive, but does a good job.

3. leirob007

leirob007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Upstate South Carolina
    I run 5 incubators. From cabinets to homemade,
    they ALL work equally well, under the same conditions.
    That said, I'll toss in a hint or two for YOUR convience.
    When it comes to small portable Styro-Foam type incubators.
    The Hovabator Series Incubators Take the work out of it.

Makes no difference which series of Hovabator you use. as long as you have the following:

A Forced Fan Kit installed. the same incubator running over the same conditions will take you from an expected 30% hatch rate slam up to nearly perfect hatches every time ( I got 3 out of 5 perfect hatches out of mine this spring )

A GOOD Hygrometer !!! I can not stress this enough. temperature means nothing if the humidity is not right. Learning to read both temperature and humidity and watching how they work interactively is the key to good hatches no matter what incubator you choose. ( I've seen too many shrink wrapped chicks trying to hatch out of a dry incubator and too many drowned ones that just died during pipping ). A sudden spike in temperature does not mean adjust the thermostat most of the time. it means the air is drying out and your dehydrating your eggs. ( just an example )

While egg turners are not a necessity ( there are tricks to this too ) they do the job a lot better and more frequently then you can. If you leave your eggs in cartons ( with the bottoms cut out ) you can put a stack of books under one side of the incubator and move the books from side to side BUT you loose too much water out of the tray that way for me.

I mainly use my cabinet these days. ( it runs 288 eggs so I can hatch off every week without tearing down removing turners. and cleaning up the incubator before starting another batch)..
    holds 5 gallons of water for the humidity and turns the eggs every 2 hours with a hatching tray under the turners for continious operation.

I hear a lot of things about thermostats , while some use electronic ones and others have the wafers. I actually prefer the older ones with the wafers. I have not adjusted mine at all in 2 years and it runs a fluxuation of 99.5 to 100.5F IF the electronic ones work better then that then so be it.
    My LG runs a fluxuation of 99F - 102F and I get perfect hatches out of it too.
    The Broody hen leaves her nest I'm sure the temp falls some before she puts her 102F body heat back on it.
    So it is my belief that too much stress is placed on maintaining perfect temps and not opening incubators ( I open mine all the time from day one till hatching )

All that talk aside. Any incubator you can afford will do the job as long as you keep your watch on it and make the conditions right.

4. serama hen

Sep 9, 2012
    Nothern New Jersey
    very helpful thankyou

5. serama hen

Sep 9, 2012
    Nothern New Jersey
    i would also like to know what everyone else uses

6. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I've hatched all my Seramas in the Genesis 1588 Hovabator as well with no issues and awesome hatch rate.
    The Serama eggs are tiny, but they still fit in the rack just fine.

7. Simon6101

Simon6101 New Egg

Jul 16, 2012
    I have some eggs in the incubator and the one thing that confuses me is the lockdown. I understand to stop turning the eggs at day 18 and raise the humidity but what I am wondering is Do I remove the eggs from the turner and place on the screened floor for hatch? I have an older LG with and egg turner in it.

8. Hawgon

Hawgon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    I have used my Brinsea Mini Advanced very successfully with Seramas. I agree with the above that humidity is very key to having good hatches. Best of luck. Oh, yes, remove eggs from turner and lay on screen and then bump up your humidity. The humdity will rise as your chicks hatch also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by