Incubators????!!! Which one to choose? What features to choose??

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by miss_thenorth, Apr 29, 2009.

1. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Yes, its for quail (Hi Monarc! [​IMG] ) I only plan on hatching maybe 30 or so at a time (not sure though--haven;t got that far into the addiction yet) do I need auto turner? What features do you see as a necessity in an incubator. I am usually home all day, so I would definitely be able to keep my eye on it, but I want to spen my money wisely. so what do the expert quail hatchers recommend??

Thank You!!!!

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Not a quail owner but....Depending on the reliability of your electrical power, consider the diference between digital and not digital (whatever you call it) Where I live in rural AR there is a system that whenever something shorts a powerline (a branch or something) the power will blink three times trying to get it to clear. If it doesn,t clear, then it shuts down. I think sometimes it is overactive. The result is that everytime this happens, everything digital has to be reset. Not digital just picks up wherever it left off. That means if I have something in the smoker or oven it shuts down until I return home to turn it back on. For this reason I will not buy a digital incubator.

3. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I've never hatched quail, but Hovabator makes some nice products. I'd like to burn my LG.

4. cawooduck

cawooduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Livermore, CA
    I have been using a hovabater forced air incubator for a couple years now and i love it!! I have a LG still air that i use for a hatcher, but i wouldnt trust it to bring eggs to full term, it fluctuates temperature way to much for my liking.

My next big purchase is going to be a Sportsman incubator!![​IMG]

PS- Invest in the automatic turner, its worth its weight in gold!!!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  5. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Quote:Wow!! you did your homework!! Great job, now I have some reading to do.

6. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Genesis 1588 ,I love it!

7. CheerfulChaos

CheerfulChaos Out Of The Brooder

We also love our 1588 forced air Hovabator. I bought the auto egg turner with quail cups and I'm really glad I did. I'm home all day too, but I think it would have been a pain to turn 50+ little bitty quail eggs. [​IMG] The 1588 was very "no muss, no fuss" for our quail hatch. Can't recommend it enough!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by