Incuview Incubator

Pics
Here are my latest test results. Conditions:
  • Relocated built-in temperature probe out of the fan intake path, to one of the "hot corners"
  • Removed fan guard, which increased air flow (although I would like to re-install and retest it)
  • Turner tray was removed during test
  • Brinsea SpotCheck used to measure temperatures, with the probe at center-of-egg level

The results are improved from where I started this inquiry. As you may recall, I was getting a 2.5 degree difference between the center (coolest) and the "hot corners." Now, with the above mods, the difference is only 1.2 degrees, and the overall uniformity seems to be improved. It is inching up on being acceptable to me (admittedly, others may not be so picky, but a large degree difference in the incubator will affect your hatch).

I still have an inquiry into IW regarding the control of fan speed. Will post that response when I receive it (they are very good at responding promptly).

steve

The position of the probe shoud not have any effect on the temperature differenence. It just dictates when the heating elements turn on and off.

Maybe on your first test with the guard off the unit hadn't had time to stabalize (not all of the plastics parts had warmed up). Now that it has run longer it is more stabalized and with the added air flow you are seeing less of a variation.

I've got an email in with IW also inviting them to read this thread and also to see if I can get the original grille.

The position of the probe shoud not have any effect on the temperature differenence. It just dictates when the heating elements turn on and off.

Maybe on your first test with the guard off the unit hadn't had time to stabalize (not all of the plastics parts had warmed up). Now that it has run longer it is more stabalized and with the added air flow you are seeing less of a variation.

I've got an email in with IW also inviting them to read this thread and also to see if I can get the original grille.

Normally I would agree with the your comment on the position of the probe, but if the air intake "whizzing" past the probe when it is under the fan causes a lower reading, then the heating element will shutoff at a higher temperature, making the corners hot. Of course, I could be wrong on that.
smile.png

I was pretty careful to stabilize temperatures during the test. The Spot Check reads pretty quickly, and only varied a tenth or two during the testing (usually corresponding to when the heating element was at 100% or not). In no way would my tests be considered "science grade," but I was satisfied with my ability to control most variables.

Let me know about the grill--I would like one as well
smile.png

steve

Temperature is temperature, humans feel it cooler when air whizzes past due to moisture on and in our skin. 100 degrees is 100 degrees to a temperature probe no matter how fast the air is moving past it.

Of course you're right. Forgot about that.

Nonetheless, the probe position is only irrelevant if the temp is evenly distributed, which in this case it' s not.

For whatever reason, by the time the air has circulated back to the fan intake it is cooler, causing the probe to read low and keep the heat on. By relocating the probe to an egg-level position away from the center, it will improve accuracy and may lesson that effect.

steve

Last edited:
I had sent an email to Incubator Warehouse asking whether the heater combo was the same as in the IncuKit, whether the fan speed is adjustable on the IncuView (as it is on the IncuKit), and whether they recommend moving the default position of the temperature sensor to be at egg level. Here is their promptly delivered response:

Quote:
It is recommended that the sensor be just above the eggs. We place the sensor so that it can be above any size egg. The sensor is removable, so you can place the sensor where you please.

Thanks,

IncubatorWarehouse.com Customer Service
www.incubatorwarehouse.com
JP Ventures LLC

I really like the fact that the sensor can be relocated from its default position, and have done so on my setup with improved results. I wish the fan speed was adjustable, but I'll bet it was dialed down to conform to the IncuView's container, so I am OK with that.

By the way, anyone looking at this incubator should not hesitate based on my comments regarding heat distribution. It has more "bang for the buck" than anything else on the market in this price range.

We will be setting more eggs in it next week
thumbsup.gif

steve

Last edited:
I too received a prompt response. They informed me that the stock grille is in the mail and I also received a USPS priority tracking number for the package.

I also received a thank you for providing a link to this thread and informing them of our testing. Hopefully somebody in their QC or testing deptartment will chime in soon.

Funny how a fix to one apparent problem causes an entire different problem. I'm just happy we figured it out and IW is responsive to their customers. You don't get that very often these days.

Last edited:
Quote:
That is the claim. Although I have a really hard time beleiving that a chicken got upside down and high enough to get it's foot up into the fan. I find it more likely that somebody forgot to turn the turning tray off and the toes got caught in the mesh and clipped by the tray as it was moving. I guess anything is possible though.

I lowered the set point back down to 99.5 last night and just now checked all of the eggshell temps. I'm happy to report that all are in the 100-101 target range!!

Back
Top Bottom