Incuview Incubator

Pics
Drop them a line at [email protected]
They are usually very quick to respond and should be able to send the guards.
They are sending me one at no charge.
Can you send me pics of the old style fan guard when you get it? Thanks! I will drop them a line and request two old guards. I am less concerned about my incubating unit without a guard, but want to modify my hatching unit for the safety of newly hatched chooks!

Leela

Quote:
It should look like this.

I leave my fan guard off for incubation so more hot air gets to the floor of the incubator, then I put it back on for lockdown. I figure by then the chicks are making their own heat so they could stand to be a degree cooler. It goes on with tiny zip ties so I just got a bag of them and leave them in my incubator toolbox.

Last edited:
@Leela NH

Here is my hatch rate from last time (first hatch with IncuView), set temp 100.5°F, dry incubation:

Dominique: 5/6
Swedish Flower: 3/6
Cream Legbar: 1/2

I had a total of 5 eggs that had fully formed chicks in them that never pipped internally. My suspicion is they were shrink-wrapped, although I'm not sure what that looks like exactly. I did a dry incubation, and in the last three days I really struggled to get the humidity up because we were in the middle of a cold snap and my furnace was going 24/7. The eggs that didn't hatch were all the smallest ones, so I think they lost too much moisture.

This time around I'm adding water during incubation to make up for the super-dry air in the house during the winter. I also set the set temp back to 99.5°F since I know temps are a degree or two higher around the perimeter (I was measuring in the middle where the probe is). We'll see if that improves things for me.

@Leela NH

Here is my hatch rate from last time (first hatch with IncuView), set temp 100.5°F, dry incubation:

Dominique: 5/6
Swedish Flower: 3/6
Cream Legbar: 1/2

I had a total of 5 eggs that had fully formed chicks in them that never pipped internally. My suspicion is they were shrink-wrapped, although I'm not sure what that looks like exactly. I did a dry incubation, and in the last three days I really struggled to get the humidity up because we were in the middle of a cold snap and my furnace was going 24/7. The eggs that didn't hatch were all the smallest ones, so I think they lost too much moisture.

This time around I'm adding water during incubation to make up for the super-dry air in the house during the winter. I also set the set temp back to 99.5°F since I know temps are a degree or two higher around the perimeter (I was measuring in the middle where the probe is). We'll see if that improves things for me.
Were they shipped or local eggs?

Were they shipped or local eggs?

"Local" by which I mean I picked them up but they traveled 4 hours by car through mountain roads. I tried to be as careful with them as possible, and I did let them rest overnight before setting them.

My current batch are also "local" eggs (3 hours). What can I say, I like road trips. :)

Well that's still better than a postal service handling I'm sure.

For sure. I've only tried shipped eggs once and even though they were beautifully packed and arrived unbroken, I ended up hatching 1 out of 12. It'll be a while before I try shipped eggs again, if ever.

I did run my Incuview just as it came. I trusted the humidity gauge & the digital thermometer reading. I set 29 eggs during the middle of winter. Day temps were right around mid 30's & night temps were in high teens. I was worried about low fertility rates due to the cold. Of the 29 I set, 24 were fertile. Those 24 made it to lockdown & 23 of those hatched. I was able to get a 96% hatch rate with the Incuview being left at factory settings. I did build a brooder of sorts for the incubator to be in, I don't know if that helped keep a uniform temperature or not. I plan on setting more eggs this coming Wednesday & am now debating running the first 18 days without the fan guard. I will most likelty run the Incuview "as is" again as I am happy with a 96% hatch rate. It could be worth a try but since I'm setting some more valuable turkey eggs this time around, I will just leave it as is this time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom