Incuview Incubator

Pics
It is my understanding that IR guns must be adjusted for emissivity, which is a measure of how well the surface emits thermal radiation.

The almost exact difference between the high and low readings taken by each IR thermometer would indicate that this is the probable cause of the difference between the two thermometers (ie., they are calibrated to a different emissivity).

So, does it appear that the center is cooler than the perimeter? Did you have eggs at the corners?

steve

Last edited:
So, does it appear that the center is cooler than the perimeter? Did you have eggs at the corners?

steve

They sat in the egg cartons for the first 2 days to help with the air sacs. Before putting the turning tray in I shot them with the IR gun and got the crazy readings. About an hour or so later I found out after searching that the ear IR would work better and then took the temps so hard telling where that low temp egg spent it's first 48 hours.

I'm going to take the temps of a couple of them from the center in the morning and also a couple from the outer edges as they will have had some time to stabilize in their current positions.

Just took eggshell temps with the medical IR ear thermometer and it does appear that area under the fan is a little cooler by 1 to 1.5 degree on average. I do have a towel under the unit and a rolled up beach towel wrapped around the unit for added insulation. The single top plug is out with water in the the center and the middle rings. Humidity is still holding very steady at 40%

Photo of how eggs were arranged.

Eggshell temps this morning.

How I rearranged the eggs after I finished.

I also set the units temp set point up to 99.7

Eggshell temps this morning.

I like your diagram! It appears that from lowest to highest is 2.6 degrees--ouch! That's a big difference, and coincides with my measurements.

I still want to run more tests on my incubator to verify, but a difference that large definitely has an impact on a hatch. I actually find it hard to believe with the fan moving the air around so much, but perhaps it is pulling more air than it needs to to mix.

I looked on the Incubator Warehouse website, and it appears that the fan speed might be adjustable. If it is the same heating combo unit sold as the IncuKit, then it lists "The fan speed can also be adjusted to provide the right amount of circulation for different size containers." Perhaps this might be the solution to the cool spot issue. I'll look into it.

Would like to hear from others measured temperatures under the fan versus the perimeter.

Last edited:
Is this variation in egg temperature a problem with a Brinsea incubator?
I'll bet it's a problem with all incubators...but no one has measured it before like happydad has, or at least no one on here that I've seen.

Could be the reason there is often a 3 day range of hatching.

I'll bet it's a problem with all incubators...but no one has measured it before like happydad has, or at least no one on here that I've seen.

Could be the reason there is often a 3 day range of hatching.

Actually, I was the one that initially measured the temperature differentials in the IncuView. HappyDad is adding invaluable data to corroborate my findings. I hope others will as well.

Nonetheless, my Turn-X incubator does not have this degree of variation. I have not measured my Brinsea Mini Advance, yet...

steve

I'd love to see the measurements in the Brinsea if you ever get to it.

My daughters have a few eggs in it at the moment. It may have to wait until they hatch
smile.png

steve

I still want to run more tests on my incubator to verify, but a difference that large definitely has an impact on a hatch. I actually find it hard to believe with the fan moving the air around so much, but perhaps it is pulling more air than it needs to to mix.

I am actually thinking new fan guard is restricting the air too much. If you put your hand under it you really can't feel much air at all moving. Versus this same style of fan on a computer you can definitely feel the air. If a fan can't push air through a screen efficiently you will get too much turbulence in front of the screen and it will wrap back around on itself.

I obviously can't do it now but it would be neat to introduce a little smoke through the vent hole to see how it disperses.

Later this morning I'm going to check the temps on the current positions.

New fan guard

Original fan guard

And yes, Steve was first to post the temperature variations, I'm just a curious cat who like to know and fix things like Steve does ;)

Later this morning I'll get the eggshell temps of the eggs in their new positions.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom