Incuview Incubator

Pics
I'm getting temperature readings of those you would expect from a still air incubator. The eggs with the 98 degree readings and that are circled twice are the three eggs that came from our own coop and not the shipped eggs. I think they got too cold before collection and are not developing hence the lower temperatures.

I'm going to place them back in to the square pattern and take the fan guard off to test my air movement theory.

Sorry @stevetone

@Happy Dad interesting about the not developing / lower temp possibility ....so many variables.

Are you opening incubator to take temps?
Never used the ear thermometer...didn't have those when my kids were little.

O Wow!

I took the screen guard off. The first thing I noticed was the noise the fan made. It went from a kind of rough running sound to a very smooth sound. The second thing I noticed was the air flow. The air flows upwards through the ceramic heaters and not down like I thought before so the screen is actually on the suction side. The screen guard is DEFINITELY starving the fan. After snipping the zip ties and removing I could hold it in place and remove it comparing air flow coming from the top around the heating elements and the difference was night and day. I don't have an air flow meter but if I was to give an educated guess I'm thinking around a 90-95% air flow improvement. It really is a huge difference. This definitely explains why the outer ring is warmer. The air was SLOWLY being moved outward across the top of the unit and hit the outer areas first and by the time it got back to the center it had cooled.

I'll check the shell temps tomorrow night, I'm betting the results will be very favorable.

I still find it hard to believe a chick got their feet up in the fan and agree with others in this thread who think the turning tray was left on.
I'm going to modify this screen for better air flow and also leave enough material so that a chick can't get their head in the fan.

Sorry @stevetone

@Happy Dad interesting about the not developing / lower temp possibility ....so many variables.

Are you opening incubator to take temps?
Never used the ear thermometer...didn't have those when my kids were little.

I didn't expect those three eggs to develop as the nesting boxes were in the single digits when they were collected. I just thought it would be neat if they did.

Here is a link to an ear thermometer.
http://www.brauntherms.com/our-products/thermoscan-7/

Here is a link to the reference I'm using to measure temps.
http://www.aviagen.com/assets/Tech_...ow_Tos/03HowTo3MeasureEggShellTemperature.pdf

Last edited:
Well I just set 18 Dominique eggs, one has a light crack but I repaired it with candle wax, we'll see if it hatches.

This will be my second hatch with the IncuView. I filled the inner 2 rings with water to bring the humidity up because it has been super dry here lately. Last time I did a dry incubation and I think some eggs lost too much moisture and that's why they developed all the way but didn't hatch.

Excited to have the incubator going again. :)

I took the screen guard off. The first thing I noticed was the noise the fan made. It went from a kind of rough running sound to a very smooth sound. The second thing I noticed was the air flow. The air flows upwards through the ceramic heaters and not down like I thought before so the screen is actually on the suction side. The screen guard is DEFINITELY starving the fan...

I snipped off the fan guard and you are right, @Happy Dad , wow! The sound decrease and airflow increase is significant. I have the 'bator coming up to temp now, so I will do my usual 5-point temp check to see how it's reacting without the guard.

steve

Last edited:
I did some modification to the guard by trimming pieces out with an exacto knife until it would fall apart if I removed anymore and I still don't like the amount of air it stops when I place it on the fan. There is just too much air disturbance through the plastic mesh. I still have 18 days to go until lockdown. If Incubatorwarehouse can't send me the stock grille I'll find one at Rat Shack or online.

Back
Top Bottom