Incuview Incubator

Pics
I did some modification to the guard by trimming pieces out with an exacto knife until it would fall apart if I removed anymore and I still don't like the amount of air it stops when I place it on the fan. There is just too much air disturbance through the plastic mesh. I still have 18 days to go until lockdown. If Incubatorwarehouse can't send me the stock grille I'll find one at Rat Shack or online.

I was thinking that I could do, as you did, and open up the mesh a little. But your results makes me think that the original guard may be the way to go. (The original guard may also direct the air input more favorably over the eggs instead of straight up, which does not appear to be affecting the results much (see below)).

I have the test "in progress" right now. I have taken 3 of the 5 measurements, and the center reading is still cooler than the back corners by 2 degrees.

I did send an email to IW asking if the fan speed is adjustable, and, more importantly, how. Have not been able to find any info on how to adjust the speed using google search--anyone know how to do it? (probably the same as with the IncuKit)

steve

Last edited:
I am so glad it is you guys working out the problems and not me! If it was used solely as a hatcher, since the turner would be turned off, do you think it would work as a hatching unit? I want to hatch eggs with my grandsons.

...If it was used solely as a hatcher, since the turner would be turned off, do you think it would work as a hatching unit? I want to hatch eggs with my grandsons.

Should be no problem for hatching, as additional heat is generated by the embryo. I've been reading that commercial hatcheries often reduce the hatching temperature to adjust for the metabolic heat generated. I haven't come to a conclusion on that topic yet...

Just to be safe, maybe keep the eggs along the perimeter?

And, I am not sure there is even a "problem" for incubating. It's just my own concern over lengthy hatch windows caused by the uneven temperature. Like I said in my original post, we got a 100% hatch rate, so it's not too shabby!

steve

It's been over two hours since I removed the guard and I too am getting a 2 - 2.3 degree differential from the outer edge to the center with the center being cooler.
I'm going to keep them in this position throughout incubation and I'll check the shell temps tonight to see if they get into the 100-101 target range. I'm still at at 99.7 degree set point.

Last edited:
Here are my results after removing the fan guard. Still a 1.9 degree difference between the center and the "hot" corner. But, that is a slight improvement of about 0.6 degrees.

@Happy Dad , have you repositioned the IncuView's temperature probe sensor from its default position? I have not, and am wondering if I moved that closer to egg level, and out of the direct path of the fan intake, if it would make a difference.

steve

@Happy Dad , have you repositioned the IncuView's temperature probe sensor from its default position? I have not, and am wondering if I moved that closer to egg level, and out of the direct path of the fan intake, if it would make a difference.

There is a screw in the way and I'd have to disassemble the unit to get it out. I really don't want to do that while incubating although I'm sure it wouldn't be any different than mother hen leaving to stretch her legs and go do her business. :)

Last edited:
Never mind, I was able to back out the screw from the top while it was running and get it out quickly. It is on the floor now in the center. I'll let it run for a couple hours and report back.

There is a screw in the way and I'd have to disassemble the unit to get it out. I really don't want to do that while incubating although I'm sure it wouldn't be any different than mother hen leaving to stretch her legs and go do her business. :)

Kind of like working on the airplane while it's flying
hmm.png

Thanks for keeping this investigation going!

steve

I extended the built-in temperature probe to egg-level, near the back-left corner, and re-ran my 5-point tests.

Although the center was still cooler than the corners, the spread of temperatures was reduced significantly. I will post the results next time I fire up my phone (photo is on the phone).

steve

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom