Incuview Incubator

Pics
Just completed our second hatch in the IncuView. First hatch rate was 100% of our most dependable hatching breed (Dutch Bantams), second hatch had a rate of 69%, with a mixture of our Dutch and our least reliable hatching breed, Bantam Wyandottes. We were satisfied with those ratios.

Things I really like about the IncuView:
  • Cleanup is the easiest of any incubator I have used, except maybe the little 7 egg Brinsea Mini Advance. Because of its construction there are only a few places that are not easy to scrub, and its smooth surfaces give you a feeling that it is clean. We sanitize with a Tek-Trol spray, and only need to avoid the electronics--everything else we soak and let air dry.
  • The view is superb. There is no doubt as to what's going on in there.

The things I like:
  • Digital display of temperature and heating power
  • Built-in analog hygrometer, although a digital one would be an improvement
  • Quiet turning mechanism
  • Some customizability in the heating and turning parameters, although a better explanation in the manual would be helpful
  • I am quite fond of side-rolling incubators. No particular reason, but all of them that we currently have are like that.

Things I do not particularly like:
  • Inconsistent temperature distribution. Although I was able to smooth this out somewhat by changing the fan guard and relocating the probe, it took a little analysis. It is now in acceptable range, although I dislike having to "unwind" the probe wires and leave them vulnerable to chick "attack."
  • Turning tray channels are too large for bantam eggs. I know, the hen would not be very precise about its egg rolling, but in the IncuView bantam eggs do end up rolling "cockeyed" at times. I believe that this has caused an unusually high frequency of pipping at the wrong end of the egg (aka, malpositions). Now, my evidence is not backed up by hard data, but we are seeing a few more instances of mid- to small-end external pips, as well as malpositioned embryos (we always do eggtopsies). It could be a coincidence, but it could be the rolling pattern, as there are times when the egg's small end gets "jacked up" on the turner edge (eggs, left to their own free rolling, will have a slight large-end up tilt). We did keep the turning tray in during hatching.
  • Getting an independent temperature probe into the hard plastic grommeted hole requires more force than I'd like. Same challenge when fishing the electrical connection out to disengage the power from the top for cleaning. I am thinking of replacing with a soft rubber grommet.

I probably left out a few things, but I wanted to just share my experience with the IncuView.

Happy hatching,

steve

Quote:
I did not get a good true test as I had cutdown modified egg cartons holding the detached air sac eggs which I'm sure disturbed the air flow somewhat. I had a 1.1 degree temperature difference from the egg closest to the fan to the egg furthest from the fan in the corner. Much better than the 2+ in the first hatch but like I said this is not good data due to the egg carton holders I had in there.

I just finished my first hatch and ended up with 3 very cute fuzzy butts. Hatch rate was not good for all eggs set (24) but I cannot blame this on the incuview. After eggtopsies were completed I had 17 clear and 4 early quitters probably before day 5. Also these eggs were shipped clear across the country so I'm sure that was at issue as well.

The only issue I had with the incuview was adding water was a bit difficult. I ended up just adding a small dish of water to keep it steady. At lockdown I filled the bottom channels with water and it worked great. I have a 2nd hatch going in at the end of the week so I will see how that one goes.

Quote:
You're welcome. You are right, lots and lots of info. It can be a bit overwhelming at first. I still reference it at times. It is a great page to have bookmarked if you are hatching eggs.

Received my new Incuview Friday and to my disappointment there were 2 broken pieces on it. One, a plastic screw that held the motor/thermostat unit to the lid I could have fixed with the proper plastic glue, and the other, a button that controlled something on the motor unit needed the entire lid to be sent back to the Incubator warehouse. Steve was very nice, helpful and apologetic, but I know that they have no control over the shipping/delivery so they were not to blame. Anyway, I'll need to wait while my unit lid goes back, and another is sent to me.

DH said the incubator looked kinda "twinkie" to him, but this is a guy who does everything with double overkill... oh, well didn't need to hatch until March, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom