indian red jungle fowl

something new every day

this morning the cheeps from the chicks seemed unusually loud, so hubby went out to see what was going on

he came back and said "there are a bunch of baby chicks out here"

apparently, besides the two nests I found, there was ANOTHER nest ... because we now have five black-and-brown fluffy chicks, three yellow fluffy chicks with scattered dark spots, and one fluffy solid yellow chick ... following banty "what is it?" mama around ... since we have only the jungle-fowl/Hawaiian cross roo, am sure he's the sire

hubby also came in laughing ... he saw a yellow streak go by, was the young stray wild cat, being chased "with blood in her eye" by another of the hens ...

while I brought home (and cooped up) the blue/gray Easter Egg hen, along with a white Leghorn to keep her company, both supposed to be great layers (I like eggs for ME as well as for hatching chickens)

Candy

Here is a link to a forum that discusses Junglefowl. http://junglefowl.freeforums.org

Someone said it here a few posts back, there is a lot of controversy over these birds.
If you are looking to buy Red Jf at a hatchery, you are likely not getting the original wild fowl, but something that has probably been crossed with other domestics of the same phenotype. (technical word that means the way they look.

But the most pure ones are harder to keep than regular chickens. Red Junglefowl pretty much look like (very slender) game bantams in the "wild type" bbred color. Some have white lobes, and some have red lobes. All have blue legs.

There are five subspecies of Red Junglefowl, and three species of Junglefowl other than reds; the Green, the Grey, and the Ceylon. All of which have contributed genetics to the domestic chicken.

The folks at ththe site above would love to talk with you about junglefowl... You can read lots of info there as well.

They are not for the weak hearted. But the hatchery stock birds should be just fine for anyone wanting to add some beauty to their backyard flock!

Since you also raise RJF i have some questions to ask you. I have not had any eggs laid yet and i remember reading that they lay all at one time. Have you had any experience with them laying any other time?
Does the rooster ever crow? I have notice that the rooster is a different color than the pullet is this normal? Are there anything else that you can tell me about this breed.

Back
Top Bottom