Indian Runner Advice

Jilllopi

Hatching
Mar 6, 2021
So I have had a goose for over a year and recently her companion passed away. Worried she would be lonely, I adopted a duck from the local animal shelter. My goose is disabled (neck issues from hatching) so I didn't want to get another goose for fear she would be bullied. I am new to the duck world and learned after filling out the paperwork that the duck I adopted was a female runner. I believe she was a quarantine purchase from the previous owners as she was only 8 months and the only duck they had. Since bringing her home, I have found that she is very loud (now I know the reasons the other owners held her the entire time I was there). She also goes after my goose and I worry they will never bond. She really is sweet and is clearly bonded with people, and my neighbors have been understanding. I am in Iowa (although in suburbia) so ducks/chickens are pretty common, but I worry she will be this agressive and loud forever. I have had her for about 2 months and have given her lots if space in my yard to forage, two pools, her own duck house and lots of good food to enjoy in an effort to keep her occupied. I have never rehomed any animal before but I also need to think about the well being of my goose and my neighbors. Any advice would be appreciated.

When I brought home a goose for my gender of 5 yrs old he was very bonded to his muscovy family so to get him use to his new mate I let them sleep in the same house separate from everyone else but I made a fenced partition so they could be together but he couldn't bully her she was 4 months old he was 5 yrs. He didn't want anything to do with her at first. But having them sleep together started the bonding. Since they are flock animals they need a flock. I have Runners and they can be loud it comes in spurts. Once she is laying maybe offer eggs to your neighbor to help soften the blow of quacking. When she goes after your goose what exactly is she doing? My Runners lower their heads and chase my Muscovy away but that is usually all they do. This time of year also hormone at starting to rise and peek and that causes behavior changes. Some of my Muscovy have spats and something I never had seen before even some of my female Runners were going at each other. I hope they can work it out and become friends since they both really need each other for company.

Back
Top Bottom