Indian Runner Drake acting odd/sad? Help!

DoxieMama

Hatching
Apr 3, 2021
Hi!
I have an older drake (aprox 5-6yrs old) who lost his mate last fall. They had been together for about 5yrs. Over the winter we noticed he lost a bit of weight and now that warmer weather is upon us he wont leave the coop with the rest of the flock, he just sits and acts grumpy all day.

Any idea if he is depressed? What I may be able to do to get him to go forage and play with the rest of the flock? They have a large area to roam and explore but he will just stay in the coop all day. Im at a loss. Help!

Im worried because it has been 5 months since her passing and hes looking so much smaller than he usually is. He used to be a big boy, now hes almost scrawny and refusing to go out or do anything except sleep in the coop

Im worried because it has been 5 months since her passing and hes looking so much smaller than he usually is. He used to be a big boy, now hes almost scrawny and refusing to go out or do anything except sleep in the coop
It is normal for ducks to go through a mourning period, but 5 months is a long time. Maybe he is having a medical condition like arthritis in his feet that makes him want to move less? I'm just guessing. Any chance you could take him to the vet for a check up and blood work?

Back
Top Bottom