Indian Runner duck house and nest box

Pheasant283

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 23, 2011
SD
New to ducks and just got 3 Indian Runner Ducklings. For a duck house how steep of a ramp will they walk up to get into house? The lower to the ground the better? Also what do you use for nest boxes for Indian runners? And are they set on the floor of the duck house? How tall of a fence to you need to keep Indian Runners in?

Thanks

frow.gif

I'm new to ducks too and I have indian runners. I find they really do not like steep ramps but, it could just be my ducks. Hopefully someone with more experience will pipe in
smile.png
I want to keep an eye on this thread to learn for myself
wink.png
Don't you just love your runners though? Mine are sooo cute and funny to watch together. They are like a little family that has fun but, disagreements too....lol
Quote:

I have my first 2 ducks to and one of them is a runner. They use to be inside ducks but i decided to build them and outside pen and just bring them in on the weekends because their pen is at a friends house with a lake. They have a 5ft tall fence and their house is at ground level with maybe and inch or 2 of a step to get into the door. They sleep on the floor so i have shavings down for them and then a kid pool sunk 3-4 inches to the ground as well. I have never seen mine fly but i have seen them jump. My runner is actually quite the high jumper with out even having to use his wings. Last weekend he discovered how to jump up onto my couch and then how to jump onto my bed (all without lifting a wing)
ep.gif
I was pretty amazed lol. My runner has such a personality lol. The other I am not sure on breed but is pretty lazy compaired to my runner. Hope this helps.
smile.png

Oh that is sooo cute. I can just picture your baby jumping as you explained. I brought a smile to my face!!
smile.png

My DH would be upsett if I ever tried to bring anything but, baby chicks in the house. I've been warned on several occasions after I make him look at the bird diapers on here!!
hide.gif

Quote:

Mine wear diapers lol. they just out grew them so i have to be ordering another set here soon. My bf said the same thing when i bought them for them but i did it any way and now he loves them just as much as i do
smile.png
I actually had my one duck in my lap sitting and my runner was on the ground and the next thing i know he is off to a running start and i thought for sure he would hit the couch and fall but he got it on the first try and has done it ever since. Still trying to figure out my bed because that is like a 4 ft jump lol. Now im on the hunt for more runners since they have an outside pen but these will be my only 2 inside duckies lol

I have a cedar dog house from Lowe's as my runner's duck hut. They just step right in. They walked up the deck steps to get to the house each night and down each morning. Mine seem to prefer steps over ramps.
Their nest box is just a rubbermaid bin that I finally cut a section out of so they don't have to jump in and out. I did that when Blue had her wing wrapped and had issues with steps and hopping.

IMG_3780.jpg

the problem with ramps is usually going down, not going up. Too steep of a ramp and they'll jump down instead (could be dangerous if the don't have plenty of room in front of the ramp). I've found around 30 degrees to be a good angle for ramps.

the jumping/flying ability of runners varies greatly from duck to duck. Ollie can easily fly up to a 3 foot ledge without a running start. Moxy on the other hand struggles to get 1 foot off the ground with a running start!

Our ducks know to stay in their pen (they are indoor ducks) and only come out when we open the door. It's only a 2 foot wall which all of our ducks except Moxy can easily fly over but they've never left their pen without permission (except once Norie when just fledged. She jumped out of her temporary house and flew into the other ducks' pen)

goodpost.gif
frow.gif
I love your posted message, and was intrigued when you said you have your ducks in your home. My 6 peeps are in the house being nursed, before taking them outside. And it is too cold for them to go outside. Sooo, how do you house the runners inside, without the odor? I went online to search "runner homes" for outside, and love this site. Thank EVERYONE here for your posted messages, they are all great, and you all put smiles on my face, with some of your comments. One out of my 6 babies, she is so funny, I will pick her up, and before I know it, she is on my shoulder, nibbling on my neck and ear lobe, and as I laugh, I swear she is laughing with me. She will stop and look at me, and once I am quiet, she quickly begins nibbling again. She loves my laughter. She is the most mellow of the 6 I have, and the nost loving. When you put them on the floor, they are so hilarious to watch. I can't wait to see if they will be able to jump on my furniture some day. Anyway, thank you for your messages, they sure have helped me.
jumpy.gif

I have 3 young runner ducks and I'm looking for a house that is tall enough for them when they are full-grown. Can you post a pic of your house? What are it's dimensions?

Thanks!

QUOTE="TLWR, post: 6576685, member: 62779"]I have a cedar dog house from Lowe's as my runner's duck hut. They just step right in. They walked up the deck steps to get to the house each night and down each morning. Mine seem to prefer steps over ramps.
Their nest box is just a rubbermaid bin that I finally cut a section out of so they don't have to jump in and out. I did that when Blue had her wing wrapped and had issues with steps and hopping.

IMG_3780.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom