indian runner duck sleeping in water dish

Jul 24, 2020
NY
my 1 1/2-year-old Indian runner duck hen has been sleeping standing up in her water dish which I don't believe was in the breed description but none of my animals are normal for example I used to have a duck who didn't like water so im wondering if poppy is anotherexample of that

I am certainly no expert, and have only been keeping ducks for 2 years. But this sounds normal to me. Lots of my ducks like sleeping in their water tubs (and their pool!).

I did have runner ducks for a brief period. I found they liked splashing and playing in water as much as any other breed. I don't really think there is any breed of duck that'll be disinterested in swimming or playing in water. From my own research, some breeds require a pond/pool for breeding and others do not, but that's really the only major difference - at least for mallard-derived breeds. They are all still waterfowl after all!

You def don't want her doing this over winter and the water freeze around her feet and legs, frost bite is not good. Do you use buckets or bowls for water? you might want to go to buckets with lids and cut a hole in the lid they can dunk their heads in but can't climb into something similar to this. In winter I use heated buckets and place a piece of scrap wood over half so they can wash their faces but not climb into. My Muscovy have been known to use the heated ones for their private hot tub And my Runners are water hogs they will nap for hours just floating in their pool. :hmm 67987037239__848A729D-EC7B-4387-9911-10D9FD2D6081.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom