Indian Runner Lethargic and Weak

Paton

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 7, 2012
Hi,

I have an indian runner Duck (Chucky) a little over a year old. Just today he has seemed very lethargic and weak, even spewing up some worms we feed them on occasion as a treat. He has not eaten anything else, though he has drank a lot of water, moreso than usual.

He does seem stooped over, though still walks upright(ish) though not his normal proud, fast self.

He had been going into the chicken pen and eating their food and water, while we had a chicken with a droopy tail, that seemed to have a stuck egg (didn't move for about 5 days, though would eat and drink).
Could the chicken have past this onto Chuck?

I have not seen him do poos for a little while, as I have been keeping clear of him, letting him relax in his pool or under the trampoline, though I have read that white liquid poos are a bad sign... Chucky has done nothing but white liquid poos his entire life (at least 75% of his poos, the rest are solid style) so I am not sure whether its an intestinal blockage.

He seemed different, as he did not chase the kids around when they got home, or even really make a fuss with his quacks when he seen them.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Could he have gotten into anything toxic? I would probably confine him so you can keep a closer eye on him. Hopefully someone with more experience with illness will reply.

We have alot of other birds that fly in and out of our yard eating their food, sitting in their bowl and drinking their water.

It looked to me to be a case of FOWL CHOLERA, though Chucky came inside this morning and was eating bread.

Maybe he hates the new type of feed we got? We are not able to get our pellets anymore and moved onto a crumble that is locally made.

He ate a bunch of bread, (he doesn't eat it all the time, dont worry) and then he went outside and preened himself of his ruffled and dirty feathers...

I am watching him, and he is resting quietly, though Bear (Brown companion duck) sits close by.

He also goes into the chicken pen that has some old hay in it, and eats the chicken food.
Though I did notice so red paint on his bill yesterday, maybe he ate something..? There is nothing with red paint on it in our yard (though he does go next door to eat their snails and stuff)

Monitor him and see how he goes... Hopefully he gets better.

I would give him a few cups of clean water with food grade activated charcoal (not briquettes those are toxic) twice a day for a few days. You can get it in a drugstore or some big box grocery stores, or supplement / health food stores. It binds to toxins.

Take a look at the stickies and decide if you want to do a flush. The directions are there.

Also, I usually recommend poultry vitamins to support his system until you can get things sorted out.

Praying for you. I have runners. Love'em.

New feed may have problems. Does it pass the sniff test?

Have you tried offering him thawed frozen fresh peas? That has some vitamins and better nutrition than bread. I don't have a problem with feeding ducks just a little bread if that is all they eat, but the peas may be a little better. Also, gruel, which is water from soaking oats (not instant, just plain rolled oats) has some nutrients and animals may take that when they don't want to eat much.

Thanks,

We dont have any of that stuff readily available, though we do have afew mixed frozen vegies if that could work?

I just watered the trees and Chuck and Bear happilly foraged in the water. He seems alot better, though I wonder what could have caused it...

I am looking for a new food for him though... But the local area doesn't have duck specific stuff - The Pet shop dont know anything about them and the local feed growers dont either, and will not import stuff specially, because there is no requirement (besides ours) for it

As long as there are no onions or garlic in the mixed frozen, you are probably fine to try a little bit.

Shredded lettuce is something Romy likes very much, you could try that.

This link is about a concern about feed, and it led to some good discussion. There may be something in there (it is very long) that you find helpful.

Please keep us posted. Sounds like he is doing better.

Thanks for your help.

What is the sniff test?

The feed is enjoyed by Bear (He is a year younger than Chucky) and also the two chickens we have.

Chucky wasn't too interested in the lettuce we gave him, though he was VERY interested in some of the chips we treated the kids to dinner with... And after he munched on a bunch of those, he was full of beans again...

My guess is that him getting sick has turned him off that feed. Best case scenario.
Monday we will be searching for the old stuff he used to like.

But for now he seems fine, shedding alot of feathers (though I attribute that to the heat?) but also cleaning himself better than he was earlier.

Right now he is under the house, hunting for a good feed of snails and worms.

Sounds to me like he may have gotten into something toxic. Could have been pesticide residue or many many other possibilities. The good news is that he seems to be getting better so just continue to watch him I might limit his foraging area if he is finding something over at the neighbors though.

I actually like him under the house, and the next door neighbor watches out for him, as he used to be best friends with his cat.

Its the first time he has been sick in his life, and he had only spent the last week or so in our backyard because Bear was being transistioned from Inside Duck, to Outside Duck.

Now he has given Bear a bit of guidance, the both of them roam under the house and out the front...

A bit scary for Bear, I have seen Chucky frighten large dogs away before, but there is something scary about a tall White thing that can run faster than you, as opposed to a smaller brown, kinda delicious looking duck.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Glad he seems ok.

Back
Top Bottom