indian runner that has a walking problem, need help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Aj1911, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Aj1911

Aj1911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    ok so today one of my blue runner girls is acting a little slow and like she can barely stand, when she lays down her head twitches or tries to move to one side and her wings will twitch

she acted 100% fine yesterday, they are fed a 22% chick start with added oats as they are not full grown yet, thier pool is cleaned once a week and oxine kept in it, the bedding i use is pine shavings

all 10 other ducks seem fine, anyone know what this could be? vitamin deficiency maybe?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It could be some kind of poisoning. What is oxine? It could be botulism. Possibly niacin deficiency would cause neurological problems.

Make sure she's warm enough, has loads of fresh water. Look up botulism threads, consider giving her activated charcoal (over the counter, comes in capsules you can open up and put in her water - it is said to bind to toxins).

Check her environment - access to putrid water, dead animals or plant material?

Also possible - head or neck injury.

If it's niacin - give 100 to 150 mg per gallon until she's grown. Some ducks are more sensitive to this than others, so give it to all of them.

3. Aj1911

Aj1911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    oxine info: http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm

keeps
    their water cleaner than normal in the pond and keeps algae growth down, also prevents sticky eye and other problems.

it was a niacin problem i think, i put them on nutri-drench a good strong batch of it in their waterers and in an hour and a half the symptoms stopped, the rest stopped over night, shes still a little slow but 100% better than yesterday.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by