Indian Runners: Very small?

plasticlobster

Chirping
Apr 8, 2021
Hi,

I just got ducks for the first time, and this forum has been full of the best information. You've all been helping me along this long 5-day journey of going from 0 ducks to 8 ducks. So I got 8 ducklings from a local hatchery on Thursday (April 8). 4 Khaki Campbells, 2 Rouens, and 2 Fawn & White Indian Runners. I think the KC's and Rouens were a few days older than the Indian Runners, but I didn't ask when I bought them, and I don't think the hatchery would remember, as they deal in large quantity this time of year. After having them for 5 days, I've noticed that all the ducks have practically doubled in size except the runners. They are still teeny tiny. They're all eating and drinking (and pooping) a lot, as you'd expect. Everyone seems super lively and healthy.

Do Fawn & White Indian Runners run smaller than the other varieties for a longer amount of time? Is this typical? Photo attached. You can see just how much smaller they are.

Attachments

• PXL_20210412_235408792.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210412_235408792.MP.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 80
khaki hens usually weigh 3ish pounds, drakes will be around 4 pounds

rouen hens will be about 6 pounds, and the drakes will be 8ish pounds

runner hens will weigh around 3 pounds, drakes can weight 5 pounds

I think what @plasticlobster is asking is whether the runners tend to be and remain comparatively smaller as ducklings. Even though runners are smaller as fully grown ducks I have to agree that there looks to be fairly significant disparity in size for ducklings that were theoretically supposed to be hatched around the same time. That said, I have no experience with runners but maybe @Miss Lydia can chime in as I believe she has experience with runners. @Aunt Angus didn't you also get a fawn and white runner?

Duck fever for sure. and Yes Congrats on your ducklings they are precious. Looks like your others may be a day or two ahead and in the duck world that can mean alot in size. But I will say that my Fawn and white is smaller than all my other Runners, I don't know why this is though. Mine are all mature adults now and this Fawn and white has just been more slim and small compared to the rest. As long as they are eating drinking pooping and running around with the rest I'm sure they are fine. They are also so different in body form than other domestic ducks too. Which makes a difference when looking at them.

Duck fever for sure. and Yes Congrats on your ducklings they are precious. Looks like your others may be a day or two ahead and in the duck world that can mean alot in size. But I will say that my Fawn and white is smaller than all my other Runners, I don't know why this is though. Mine are all mature adults now and this Fawn and white has just been more slim and small compared to the rest. As long as they are eating drinking pooping and running around with the rest I'm sure they are fine. They are also so different in body form than other domestic ducks too. Which makes a difference when looking at them.
Yup, they're doing all of those things! It's just a SHOCKING size difference, and the rouens and khakis are growing so fast you can practically see it after leaving them alone for a few hours. Everyone seems so happy. They're eating treats out of my hands. The runners walk right up into my hand and like to be held (The other ducks are warming up to it, but they really don't like to be held like the runners do).

Congrats on your new babies!! They're adorable 😍 Like Miss Lydia, my FW runners are much smaller framed and "daintier" than my blue runners. I have runners that hatched last week and my last one hatched almost 3 days after the first. I noticed that one of my silvers that hatched on day 2 is a lot larger than my last one. Both are healthy and normal, but what a difference a couple days make! (There's a pic below) I think as long as there's normal eating, drinking, pooping and behavior they should be alright. And maybe monitor their weight so you know they're gaining.

Attachments

• 20210415_200841.jpg
    20210415_200841.jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 48
Call this just an excuse to post a cute video, but let's just say the size difference is apparent in the video, so it's relevant to this thread. ;)

This was the first swim for all of them (Water at exactly 90 degrees), and when I put them back under the lamp, they all preened properly and got nice and dry. I think I have non-defective ducks!

Last edited:
Call this just an excuse to post a cute video, but let's just say the size difference is apparent in the video, so it's relevant to this thread. ;)

This was the first swim for all of them (Water at exactly 90 degrees), and when I put them back under the lamp, they all preened properly and got nice and dry. I think I have non-defective ducks!

😍 nothing cuter than duckling swimming!!! You have a nice mix there. All sorts of colors, shapes and sizes 😊

They're sooooooo sweeeeet:love😍

Back
Top Bottom