Indian runners

Ssutor

Chirping
Aug 25, 2020
I have two Indian runners who are now 10 weeks old. This weekend I am keeping their pen cage open and hoping they eventually roam the garden without adult supervision. Was interested in wether others have their ducks free roaming the garden in the day time while being out at work?

I have two Indian runners who are now 10 weeks old. This weekend I am keeping their pen cage open and hoping they eventually roam the garden without adult supervision. Was interested in wether others have their ducks free roaming the garden in the day time while being out at work?
I let my ducks free range but only if I’m home. Do you have hawks? Places for them to hide if a predator came?

My six roam the garden all day and are locked up at night. It works great if they are safe from predators. Mine spend the day sleeping under shrubby plants, searching for yummy bugs, or swimming in their pools. Only issue I have is when they eat my veggies and plants!
23B7633F-8029-47B4-B657-555090650C55.jpeg

I let my ducks free range but only if I’m home. Do you have hawks? Places for them to hide if a predator came?
Im not sure if we have hawks, ive not noticed any. We have two huge trees at the back of our garden with lots of small and medium birds and squirrels. Their pen is in the centre of the garden and would be easy for them to run into but obviously would also be open for other animals to run into. I doubt a hawk would though? We are joined to two other gardens and the lady next door is in every day and keeps a look out

My six roam the garden all day and are locked up at night. It works great if they are safe from predators. Mine spend the day sleeping under shrubby plants, searching for yummy bugs, or swimming in their pools. Only issue I have is when they eat my veggies and plants!
View attachment 2349113
Awww wow they look like they are having fun. I think they naturally feel safer in bigger groups. A lady down the road has three pekins in her front garden during the day time so I assume it’s pretty safe

I would take some large branches and make a lean to of sorts for them to hide under. Mine do not go in their coop during the day. They hide in tall grass, under shrubs, in the tomato plants etc..
Btw, Red-tailed hawks (also called chicken hawks) hunt by sitting in a large tree or another perch and waiting for movement. Your trees make your ducks more vulnerable not less. I would see how they do out when you are home before letting them be out alone.

Thank you, they finally came out their pen after six hours today, and spent 5-10 min intervals out, then returning to pen and repeating. They are slowly getting braver. Ill do the same tomorrow and take it from there. I assumed because I see so many small birds flying in the sky, perching on our roofs and trees that their was not any hawks about. Ill keep a close look out

Back
Top Bottom