INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Thanks, but surely you're joking! The nest boxes, while functional, are buttugly. Made from scrap cr*p.

I saw the video. Lowes has the totes for $5. Measure 25 x 16 x 15. A bit bulky, but easy to clean. You might think about using shelf supports like I did, if you have studs you can screw them to rather than the concrete blocks. Makes for an uncluttered floor. Also, depending on the floor surface, they may not sit well without wobbling.

John

2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    They are nice for using scrap, I couldnt never make something look that goodd just using scrap wood I have laying around. Now obviously if you went out and bought brand new wood and everything it would look a little nicer, but I would rather just use extra stuff I have laying around. I dont have to spend more money and it isnt in my way anymore. They will be on a concrete floor, but I think I like the idea of shelf supports better so that I would save floor space. I never really thought about anything besides putting them lifted off the floor. Thanks for the ideas!

3. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    SallyfromIndiana, thanks for all the free advice! You have lots of good tips! We are installing a big irrigated raised-bed garden this summer and will turn our attention to the coop in the fall. (We overweight senior citizens can't get much work done in this heat!) There is a large garden shed behind our garage that I believe can be transformed into a good chicken home. We will purchase chicks or pullets around next March. Can't wait! Reading about everyone's love affairs with their chickens makes me a little jealous. I am already a crazy old cat lady, and I'm looking forward to being a crazy old chicken lady, too! BTW, I'm another Sally. There aren't too many of us Sallys out there - we need to stick together!

4. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    [​IMG] and so glad you have joined our thread! [​IMG]

5. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    Spring is a great time to get chicks. Once you get them you have about a month to get the coop and run ready for them. But you have until they are 16-20 weeks old to get the nesting boxes ready.
    Mousing cats like to eat chicks so look into getting a covered brooder ~ a box with a chicken wire top whould be good enough to let the heat light in and keep a cat out.

6. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    PeacefulWalls WOW you had a long day, thank goodness you saw your dog was in distress. Hoping for a full recovery [​IMG]
    sounds like a nightmare on the septic, hopefully they get it straightened out.

7. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    The judge at the trial stated that man will never sell animals in our state again. He was socked with a large fine and I believe other charges were still pending. One snake was extremely venomous and was contained in a common 10 gal tank with a screen top! Any child could have reached in and picked it up!

How awesome! I am envious of your new roo, you have to share pics!

[​IMG] Just precious!

8. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    fantastic!

9. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    If i haven't said it already, welcome to our thread [​IMG]My brain is cooked from all this heat.
    They are so tiny and cute! [​IMG]

10. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Ugh, I only have wyandottes right now too, I think, but I will look over the big flock tomorrow. How old will you need?

WOW can't beat that!

Oh my, i am so very sorry. [​IMG]

they look so sweet! I see one is talking all about it too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by