INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

2. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Be sure to draw eyeballs on them with a Sharpie pen.

John

3. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    I bring the catches home that we don't process too. Some species have no size or catch limits due to overpopulation. (bluegill, yummm!) and give my birds the whole fish.
    [​IMG] I am so sorry. Hope things change for the better, and please don't forget about us. You have learned a lot and helped others learn too!
    I know you will have a more chickens in your future.
    Ugh, take your time, It is morally hard to face. It upsets me to process any of the birds but I remind myself why mine are here. I have a rooster day this week, and some of my boys were first hatches for me in February. I am seeing too much rooster fighting and hens with picked necks so its time to sort them out. [​IMG] you will know when you are ready to face it. Its hard for young children to understand, I started at the grocery store with my oldest DD, now 31 years old. We bought whole chickens and roasted for dinner. She was really happy to help cook and loved the meal. I had CX meat chickens then, and I explained that those birds are the same we just ate for supper. And how much better it was for the birds because we loved them, and let them live a fun life instead of living in a tiny cage.She understood, and only was worried about 1, Popeye (1 eye never developed) Popeye was around a few more years but stopped laying around 6 years old. She lived her life out at grampa's house.
    Oldest DD was maybe 6 years old at the most. She now helps me process,and has no fear of any of the birds here and understands its part of life in general. If you want safe healthy food for your family you raise and process yourself. My youngest DD, nearly 21, is appalled by it all but she sure eats dinner when its ready! [​IMG] We lived in town while she was growing up and didn't have the same experiences.

4. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Oh please do share, love the pics!

UGH thats just wrong.

Adorable baby [​IMG]

Love all the windows and light, looks awesome!

5. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    ''...and firmly holding.'' lol. You will have so many eggs you won't know what to do with them! How old are your girls?
    ''They get what they want, and they never want it again!'' That's actually a Courtney Love lyric, if anybody knows who that is. That's what my daughter is doing to me, wanting a frizzle. Are they timid chickens?

We are looking for frizzled, but NOT A ROOSTER! I sure like the peace around here since both our roosters are gone, but I do wonder if having one would protect the flock from the Cooper's hawk that's taken an interest in our coop/run.

6. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Oh I bet that was so fun for DD! Bet she was pretty excited too i am sure. SOOOOO awesome when the DH gets interested, mine is loving the whole egg and free range difference.

WOW i have yet to get one! New pullets tend to lay soft eggs, increase the protein and free choice calcium until their bodies adjust.

Really think it is new layers, my BAs did the same. They didn't do pullet eggs, just started laying normal eggs. I love the "ugly" stage, its just amazing to watch the chicks grow and change.

7. Too Fast

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Coming along nicely!
    We've talked about getting a couple goats. She is very cute indeed.

8. Too Fast

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    That razor wire looks pretty good. I'm afraid our birds would kill themselves, tho, since we have to get them off the top sometimes. That'd be easy for the hawk, right? Sliced up and layed out chicken, right on the top of the run!
    Seeing this hawk around makes me re-think letting them free range in the backyard.

9. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Free ranging is a hard choice. You will eventually have losses. I can't bear not letting them have the option, but I have lost some birds because I let them.
    Its a personal decision. you have to make.

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana

after about 20 hours you really start questioning why you decided to scrap that lomg lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by