INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    Yeah, especially when you add in the poo from the 30 some rabbits, 3 alpacas, 38 chickens & 24 quail. However, I'm actually glad for all of it. When I spread it in the fall & winter over the garden area there's never enough! My main garden area is 80'x100', plus we have a large strawberry patch, blueberry patch, raspberry patch, large asparagus bed & around 20 some fruit trees we fertilize. We've got heavy clay soil so it needs lots of animal & animal bedding amendments!

2. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Tomatoes are toxic to chickens? My chickens used to clean out my tomato garden to the point I hardly had any left. They always picked the biggest juiciest! Ha lil boogers. They must be smart enough to stay away from the toxic parts of the plants like you said. I
    Imagine the leaves and stems are pretty bitter and gross. Still had no idea. Always learning something on this thread!

3. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I can't get my husband interested at all. After 15yrs he is just remembering some of the horses names. and they were here before he was !!! LOL !! We are hoping to go to State fair wed.

4. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

She layed a huge hard egg the day befire and then slept in the two soft ones she layed the next day. She is a year and a half old. So Im confused.

5. browncow15

browncow15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Indiana

My husband is the same way! He tells everyone he's JUST capital improvement when they start asking him about the animals.

We will be at the fair wed too! I'm really looking forward to seeing the chickens this year! ;) It's very convenient they are going on the same time as the open dairy show!!

6. kabhyper1

Okay guys, Godiva the Australorp layed her 3rd soft egg this week. Again she has yolk all over her bottom so I have to bathe her again. :(. She is a year and a half old and from what I understand has always layed nice big eggs. She acts normal and is eating fine and has free choice oyster shell. She eats layena too. Anyone has an idea I greatly appreciate it.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  7. blueegggirl

blueegggirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    Hi everyone in Indiana and beyond:) please come visit my Facebook page for Bluebird Hollow Farms! We are located in Southern Indiana and love rare and heritage breeds! We have chicks and eggs available starting ea spring! I am listing a 2014 chick/egg lineup;)

www.facebook.com/chickennoodlecoup

Stop by and shout out some of your favorite breeds!:)

8. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Has anything happened recently? Predator scare or anything like that? Crazy things disrupting their usual day/schedule or scares can some times throw off their egg laying causing a soft shelled egg or double yolk or a a few days with no eggs at all. Other than that I'm not sure :/

9. kabhyper1

She was added to the flock with the EE a few weeks ago. Initially she was stressed but seems fine now. We just added 3 more hens and a roo but they all ignore one another. She layed that huge hard shelled egg Im pretty sure. It had calcium deposits on it. Then three softies rught after. Im so confused. lol

10. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    welcome! What breeds do you raise?

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by