INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana

Theres no problem with the eggs. I've hatched silkie EE crosses with a 100% hatch. I sold them some time ago but they were perfectly fine (and adorable!)

2. ldymelissande

ldymelissande Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have the pics now I just have to remember how to load them]

3. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay guys, I think this has possibly become a serious situation. I went outside to wash Godivas fearthers because they has egg all over them, and looked at her vent, she was standing in the run, pushing something out. It looked pointed and hard. I put her in the bucket of soapy warm water and gently helped her get it out. It came out easily so I'm sure no damage there. It was another soft egg. I didnt have any yolk or whites in it, so I'm afraid that stuff may be inside her. It had a tiny speck of blood on it. Her vent isn't as red as it was, and she ate some milk and a crushed hard boiled egg mixture for calcium. Her eyes are bright and she is alert and has an appetite. I added more calcium to her food and kept the free choice out too. This is her second soft egg today. She layed 2 in one day 2 days ago also. There was a lot of bloom on this soft shell. I'm quite concerned. I'm also new at this, so I don't know what a normal vent looks like, or how to handle this. Like I said before she is a year and a half old and never had problems before. She went off laying for the first two weeks we had her and just started laying again. First was the giant egg with the bloom on it I posted last week and now these 4 soft eggs. I'm sorry to keep bothering everyone about this, but I dont know who else to ask. Should I be worried about the yolk and whites being inside her?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  4. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    if you know how to process her, I would. if she does get egg bound and you miss it, she will slowly decline and there will not be anything left really to process. Plus it sounds like something that could be causing her pain.

5. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I won't kill my chickens, they are pets. She doesn't seem to be in any pain. I just dont know why she is laying these soft eggs.

6. ldymelissande

ldymelissande Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2013
    NW Indiana
    ok, I didn't forget how to post. My computer forgot to load all of the buttons :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bought from TSC April 5th had arrived that morning
    would like $10 for him had named him Hershey's special dark. Now referring to him as [email protected] head.

1 person likes this.
  7. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

1 person likes this.
  8. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    if she had a prolapsed vent you'd know it by looking. It's pretty obvious if you look back there (kind of like a giant hemorrhoid). If you think she has egg parts in her still it's my understanding that she would need an antibiotic called baytril or she will die from infection :(. I'm really sorry if it's happening repeatedly I'm not sure what else you can do. I'd probably call a vet and see what they say.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  9. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Checked out your page. Fowl play lol.

Any Frizzles for sale? Next Spring, or currently? Looking for pullets or laying hens.

1 person likes this.
  10. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    We went to the State Fair last week, they had some chickens then:
    [​IMG]
    Only saw one frizzle, and it was mis-tagged.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by