INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    If you do wrap it i would just barley to make the toes flat. band aid might work better or something. I dont know exactly what your chicks foot looks like, but I would treat it as if it had curled toes. None of my chicks have had this. I did have an adult and I put a little of that horse leg wrap around her leg and put things on her foot like she had curled toes.

2. Crafty chick

Crafty chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2012
    Pierceton, Indiana
    so, i went out to hang with my peeps and chicks for a few min. after the DH got home... and found that our dog had killed one of our young BO hens :( in her dog pen.... so it had to of flown in, and she played too rough with it. i took the body out and left it just outside the pen to see if she dug out somewhere and got it, but she didnt. the rest of the chickens stayed on the other side of the house today.... it must have disturbed them to not want to wander that way. I am making a hoop coop with cattle panels soon. Does anyone know where i can get the electrified apparatus to put around it? solar powered? and not to expensive? i know, i ask for a lot :/

3. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    The foot is flat. The chick just leans on its other foot. Its also swollen. Thanks for the information.

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I figured the foot was fine, just when my hen had a hirt leg (not my SF different one) I put her toes out flat. You can get mectam or mectan, not sure how it is spelled. It is $30, but not sure they will sell it to you without looking at the chick. You could smash upan asprin and put a really really small amount in some yogurt in with some plain yogurt and feed it to it. (this would just help with pain not sure how much it would help with the swelling.

5. DarthLayer

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    Actually I just remembered that I have some cotton pads and this elastic wrap from when I had to take my silkie to the vet and I have some of it left over. Would that work?

6. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Update... FW vet said to give her a tums twice a day for calcium and said its not uncommon for a hen to do this. She said I should expect a few more soft ones but she should start laying normally within a couple weeks.

1 person likes this.
  7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I think that would be okay. I am sure you know this, but just be careful. I'm not exactly sure what its issue is, but this cant hurt. My guess would be it sprained it.

8. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    Great news!

9. DarthLayer

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    My dad thinks its sprained too. I will give an update in a few days. This year is not a good year for me with chickens. :/

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I wasnt have good luck at the beginning of the year, but things have gotten better. I am sure things will get better for you too! A sp[rain isnt a big deal, it should be fine, it could of been worse such as a broken leg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by