INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. animallover2202

animallover2202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    Buck Creek IN
    I'll never forget my awesome BYC friends(everyone here) I'll be on just not that much and I'll share what knowledge I have with chickens with everyone:)

2. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    also I had a chicken lay a yolk less egg before. She was fine. After reading all this again (with the very little experience I've had with it) if she had an infection she wouldn't be eating and acting normal. She wouldnt want to eat. If she went a whole two weeks with out laying maybe her system is still syncing back up. Id keep a close eye on her and if she starts to decline I'd get on that antibiotic ASAP and call a vet. Maybe none of that will be necessary though. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.

3. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well she isn't egg bound. Been talking to the Indianapolis and Fort Wayne Avian vets and they said she will be fine with the egg from today, but she is either backed up from not laying for so long and then laying a huge egg, or her reproductive system is failing. Waiting to hear back from the fort wayne vet. Her vent is not prolapsed. She went right back out free ranging with the others happy as a clam after the last one. She seems to be feeling fine. She is going to get a hardboiled egg and milk mash for a couple of days to get her calcium up.

4. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    I agree with Sally. Unless you are willing to spend a ton of money with the vet, which will not guarantee she will be okay, putting her down would be the most humane. Remember, animals do not react to stress and pain the same as we do. By the time they start showing obvious signs of pain it is has gotten really bad for them. This is a survival trait. Predators pick off weak looking animals first.
    It is a hard choice to make but sometimes we have to put their well being above our personal discomfort.

All that being said, I know you will do what is best for her. It is obvious you are keeping a close eye on her.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. Kiniska

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    Great plan of action. Good luck.

6. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Hmm.. I was actually planning to do that already.
    Welcome to the thread. Show us pictures of your flock here!!! We love pictures.
    I don't think chickens should cross the road without a good [email protected]#ing reason. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Kiniska

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    Too funny!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  8. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    My poor chick that has scissor beak now has an injured foot. I have an idea what caused it and it can barely walk on the injured foot. My sister had a going away party for college and I think one of her friends pick it up and dropped it. Is there anything i can do to help it?

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Maybe wrap it up slightly, Im not really sure. BUT you could yell at the person who dropped it.

10. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    I definitely plan on yelling on the person once I find out. I will seen if I have anything to wrap it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by