INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    2 people like this.
  2. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    :lau Nice! I love the stencil, paint splatters or not. ;)
    Oh, if you were here for some of the building, you'd know different. :lol: Actually, we had a few issues, including but not limited to the foundation going screwy on us and the walls ending up an inch closer together at one side than the other. Though I'm pleased with how it looks, I was going more for utility than appearance. :) (And, well, normally I would have ignored the comments on the paint job, but I was in a bad mood after a long morning at school. :oops: )

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Chickens don't care how it looks, they only care if it is functional. We humans, however, have to have looks with function. Well, some humans anyay. I was attempting humor when I started about the paint drippings. If we can't make fun of ourselves, then...I don't know what I'd do. Do you have any tinfoil for me?

We have not had any egg production issues here, still getting 32-35/week. Have been since mid-July, our 7 girls are 25 weeks old now.

4. strssdmom

strssdmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    That is wonderful. I love the latches you chose for the chicken door. The work you did on the floor is amazing. I think I will do something like that when I move and have to relocate my coop. We are a little worried about predators where we are moving.

5. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    It's always exciting to hatch eggs, but when they are eggs from your own birds it seems to be much more exciting! Here are the first chicks I've ever hatched from my flock! A naked neck chick (buff NN hen and Birchen Marans roo) and 3 coturnix quail. More coturnix are still hatching.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And just because I love them, more of my tolbunt chicks. Still hoping the smooth feathered ones get more brown, but not holding my breath. I love the frizzled color though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    the quail look very very tiny, not much bigger than the shavings.

7. bradselig

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Yes they are very very small, they are about the size of a quarter. The NN chick seems to be doing pretty good with them so far, but once more chicks hatch this weekend it will be separated from the quail and in with its own kind.

8. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

9. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh my goodness!!!! Adorable. Brad, Im just letting you know if your polish come up missing, it wasnt me. ;). They are so cute. Maybe Ill get one someday and breed it to my cochins.

10. bradselig

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    I get game bird starter for them and don't do anything special with it. Some people do grind up the crumbles even finer, but I've found that unnecessary. They find he smaller pieces on their own. For water, they actually make a quail base to prevent them from drowning. This is the one I have that screws onto a quart bottle. http://www.southernstates.com/catalog/p-4985-little-giant-plastic-quail-waterer-base.aspx

Haha ok, I won't go looking at your house ;). If you want a roo, I may have an extra depending on the sex of these chicks.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by