Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Hi everyone! [​IMG] We have been so busy here, clearing and reclaiming land, getting rid of so much stuff (JUNK). Have got so much done the last few weeks with the cooler weather.
    Have a small mountain of scrap iron collected, DH will take it in when truck and trailer is full and price of steel is right. Going to have a huge bonfire from all the brush too!
    My Dad is letting us clean and clear, am so glad he is finally letting stuff go. Some things I do keep for him, like a bird bath my Gramma loved.
    Anything that has a memory I don't want him to lose.
    Bo my oberhasli buck still goes out to the fence lines with me daily but i now tether him out of reach, he is all "billy". Sugar and our baby Sophie are still staying in their "pasture"
    Every time I look at Sophie she is bigger, They grow so fast!
    If I don't pay attention to Bo when he wants it, (every 2 seconds) he lays his horns on either side of my ankle or calf and SHOVES!
    Down we go, and pinned to the ground til he stops[​IMG] He is at least 70 lbs and very bold, horns are getting huge!
    Bo is getting that musty billy smell too [​IMG] and a cute lil beard! I still just love him dearly and he knows it.

Chicken wishlist..I want more barred rocks Am really thinking about partridge or white rocks too, my last 4 partridge were big, friendly and laid well.
    My BR Mabel lays almost everyday. She is calm and sweet and no problems.
    Red my GLW roo is terribly molting and looks just awful. going to cage him a few weeks.
    The hens are pecking his bald tail and am worried he will get infection from it, getting him blukote tomorrow.
    Rebel remains in JAIL and he pecked me HARD today on my arm, and drew blood! Flat out attacked me.
    We promptly went for a walk to the main coop, handing by his feet, and holding the base of his neck.
    I embarrassed him for all the flock to see! He making me nuts.Pushing my patience to the edge! [​IMG]
    Gee my gander was biting the fence, he really hates him. we walked by the goat pen, the Main pen, and back to the Jail/quarantine cages.
    One more week for Rebel to improve his attitude, or he will be on the menu too. Shame, he is a big beautiful boy.
    The longer I keep roos, the more I think once they are mature, they get mean. Tell me, I am wrong please. [​IMG]
    Funny how its just the 2 girls laying and they are in with Bruce my new BA roo. Time to reduce numbers in the main coop again, processing the extra roos this weekend.
    Going to process another BBW turkey too. They get more aggressive every day.8 left and SOOOO not doing them again!
    One of my older guinea keets flew into their pen and I had to run and save it, I just know they would have killed it.Terribly aggressive birds!
    My RP turkey pair are so sweet, they are just very friendly turkeys. I swapped 6 of my hens eggs for 6 Bourbon red turkey eggs and 1 has hatched so far.
    We tried turkey eggs and WOW they are very good, really rich like duck eggs. My oldest DD used 3 for a cake and it was very moist and rich.
    I am going to just order Bourbon red poults in the spring, and some mini-white poults too, from Porters. I hear very good comments about their stock.
    Having very poor luck with shipped turkey eggs, but the few left from my RPs almost every one hatch.
    Guineas are easier to hatch than chickens, just my 2 pairs I have hatched 53, sold a few so far, traded a LOT of eggs too for other birds.
  2. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    I just love the frizzled polish how adorable [​IMG]

ALLLLL the hens i have 2 eggs today. Not ok, time to reduce the flock. I think too many roos

3. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Me too, I love our group. I have met so many caring wonderful people here. I cannot say it enough, I love our thread! You guys are all pretty special to me too.
    Ugh am hearing mites are a problem this year, good luck.

I have some EE, GLW at point of lay too. Trying to reduce the flock before winter.

If she is young, she will get stable and lay daily. Mine was pretty regular but stopped shortly after the fox took her drake. Hoping the eggs I hatched from Ebay has a drake in the mix!
  4. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Jchny- the EE roo I got from you is doing well also. He hangs out mostly with my younger girls(mostly EE) and its been so nice to have just 1 Roo and one that is not terrorizing them to boot!! My older girls that were featherless from Roos are just now starting to get coverage and they've appreciated the break. I haven't noticed him crowing yet but all the EE's seem slower to grow up! He is also staring to get more longer feathers and even more color. His name is Bob

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012

i have BRs of my wishlist too lol. Next year i plan on making some barred EEs
  6. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    Wow your house sounds like so much fun to me. I realize that its a lot of work, but it sounds like good work to have. The story about your Bo reminds me of my late dog Rogan. He used to knock me down when he was young and wanting attention. My neighbors thought it was hilarious when he was 117 lbs and would take me down with a little shove. It makes me want a goat. Are goats generally nice? Can you milk any female goat or are some breeds better for that? Also, what is your favorite kind of goat? I just love goat cheese and yogurt, so it sounds like a good idea in a few years. After bringing home chickens and then building the house (they are six months now and I'm still working on the house[​IMG]), I have learned my lesson. Researching first, building next, then acquiring animals.
    I agree completely. I don't have many crappy days, but when I do start to lose patience with the day, reading here always makes the day better.
  7. MillerBirds

MillerBirds Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    Hey gang, hope you all are well. Happy Friday to you!
    I posted on the egg forum and not much success getting an answer so might as well try here.
    Since I have been home, one week tonight, I have only received 4 eggs from my (8) laying hens and my (5) twenty-five week old pullets.
    I have read that several of you are having production issues, but this seems ridiculous.

Any thoughts/suggestions???

No known diseases or mites, they have a nice high quality organic feed, plenty of fresh water, no signs of an egg eater, no signs of a predator.

They do free range, the coop/nesting material DOES need changed, they did receive sub par care while I was away (not clean water every day and a stray dog attack)

That is all I can think of. Just seems odd.
  8. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Anyone interested in jumbo coturnix quail eggs? I can do 36+ hatching eggs for $10 picked up or $15 shipped. These will be no more than 3 days old. If I have any older than this ill give you as many as I can put in the box(I think I was able to fit around 55 eggs when I shipped to jchny). I just hatched some babies from the first eggs laid by these and just candled another dozen and looks like all 12 are ddeveloping.

If you want chicks, I can do that as well. $1 per chick, $10 for 12. I will just need a 3 weeks notice as these will be hatched to order.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  9. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    id have to guess one of two things, weather or molting.
  10. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana

If they free range and the coop got dirty while you were gone, they have may have set up their own little hidden nests some where. They may also just be readjusting to you coming back. We left for a few days for spring break this year. At the time I had four established layers and they were all laying pretty much every day. Well, two were laying every day and the other two were like 4 a week. Anyway, I expected a bunch of eggs in the coop when I returned. There was not ONE egg. Laying resumed shortly after we got back. I think they were just mad that we left lol Or like Brad said they could be molting or the weather could be messing them up. I have an egg eater in my bunch which is really ticking me off. :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by