INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    1 person likes this.
  2. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Concrete blocks sink in the mud over time.

Dig fence post holes for the 4 corners, the deeper, the better. Put a brick at the bottom of each hole. Set the posts. Put in half a bag of Sackrete. Fill to near the top with gravel, sand, dirt. Put in the other half bag of Sackrete. Fill with dirt to grade.

Attach stringers between the posts at the desired height (leveled). Cut off the excess post to the level height. Set or build the coop on top of that. Cheap and effective.

John

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    2 people like this.
  3. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Yea! I got a Little Giant Incubator and Egg Turner new, in box, off Craig's List for $30. [​IMG]

Had to drive 100 miles round trip to get it. $20 fuel cost. [​IMG]

Stopped by and visited mom [​IMG][​IMG] which deducted 40 miles from the trip, so it was only 60 miles extra for a fuel cost of only $12.

Therefore it cost $42 for the $100 incubator/turner. [​IMG]

I found an old computer on a shelf in the basement and removed the fan. Found an old 12v wall wart transformer. Gotta get some long machine screws to mount the fan in the incubator for forced air.

Now all I need are some interesting fertile eggs.[​IMG]

John

2 people like this.
  4. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    Can't say I want poo on my head to get a good day, but I am glad your is working out well.

5. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Awesome! If your interested in quail eggs let me know. You'd probably have to buy some quail egg rails for your turner though.

Haha, yeah I'd almost rather have a day of bad luck than get crapped on by a bird!

I'd agree with those eggs. They are the ones I have hatching now. 1 chick out and 3 others pipped. I've ordered several different eggs from him and always had a good hatch. Looks like its going to continue with this batch.

1 person likes this.
  6. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    My sympathies to all of you whose chickens are having or have had issues with their legs. It is hard to see a pet suffer, but each of you has sought advice, patiently worked with your bird, and done your best to make him/her comfortable.

It does seem strange that so many in this group have had similar problems in such a short length of time. I wonder whether there are as many BYCers in other states who are experiencing the same lameness/Mareks with their chickens.

7. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    That is great John.Love a man that can hunt for a good deal.

M2H, that was pretty hilarious about the kitten! Problem is the only time she stays still for a picture is when she is lounging. Otherwise all I get is a black blur.

8. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    [​IMG]

9. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana

:lau

10. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN

OK. I tossed a $20 bid on them. I would rather get chicks from babymakes6, but she hasn't gotten back to me.

I am trying to get the temp set now once I get it about right, I'll move it down to the basement in a permanent spot & keep tuning it until spot on. I'm using a digital medical thermometer, so it should be fairly accurate.

If I get the bid, I'll just leave it on until they get here. It's a 25-watt heater. Leave it on all year and run up a $1.75 electric bill.

John

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by