INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Geez, I was too tired to look at the thread last night and now there are a billion posts!

Old Salt~ I have to admit that since we don't have chipmunks in Evansville, I haven't experienced their shenanigans. Don't even think about importing yours down here!

I also thought the same thing when I saw this photo:
    [​IMG]
    Kiniska~ Please post a lively photo of your pretty birthday cat. We're getting worried that it might be a taxidermy specimen.

Re the conversation between Old Salt, kabhyper, and CityHenIndy about Bantams and LF getting along~
    I have six LF and one bantam. My LF Jubilee orp and bantam chocolate orp roost together. My concern is that the perch is a little big for the bantam and I'm not sure what to do about that. Since the orps were added after my original five, they are at the bottom of the pecking order. However, the bantam thinks she's a LF and shows no fear. The original hens only run off the orps when there is food involved. My Jersey giant is the head chicken and she is nice to the orps either because Jerseys are laid back or because she has her subordinates do the running off.

2. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    e13lorena ~ Welcome to the Indiana Thread!

andyaux ~ Welcome to the Indiana Thread!

Do you want to be listed on the BYC Indiana Members’ List?
    “Being a member of this thread” just means adding your screen name and flock info, which can be helpful because the list is a spreadsheet format that lets you sort the list by breed, county, or other category. It’s an easy way to find other members who have the same breed you have or who live in a nearby county, etc.

Click on the MEMBERS link below my signature to view the list. Just look at the bottom of the list page for sorting options.
    If you’d like to be added, send me a PM (personal message) by simply placing your cursor over my screen name: Mother2Hens, and you will see “Send a PM.” A personal message ensures that your info is added. Please send your screen name, county, and city. Also include the following information about each member of your flock: List each species (chicken, duck, etc.), breed and color if applicable (Barred Rock, Blue Cochin, etc.); is it a LF (Large Fowl) or Bantam? If you are a breeder, please add the species. bradselig actually adds the info, so you can PM him directly, too-- whatever is the easiest for you. if you have any questions about this thread, please PM Jchny2000 (Janet) who is the founder (thread starter) of this group. Others on our volunteer committee are helping to help~ Quinstar, vickichicki, and CluckAcres.

Indiana County Map for instant member location
    If anyone would like a map of your county, like the one on my avatar, I will be happy to provide one. If someone wants a combo map and a chicken or an animal for your avatar, I can put that together for you, just PM me. When I read posts, many times I think “Now where are they from?” I look at the city and still have no idea what part of the state they’re from. The map icon with the county in red because you could quickly glance and see where the member who is posting is from. These avatars are not required-- they are just a free service if you’re interested.

If members would like me to change the photo(s) on their avatars, just PM me. Someone might have a picture of a chick that has grown into a hen (or a roo!) and would like to update the photo or someone might like something totally different.

BYC Indiana Google Map for detailed information
    Cluck Acres (Curtis) set up a Google Map for just us INDIANA BYC’ers. You must first log on to your Google account or make a Google account. (If you have gmail, just use your gmail password). All you have to do is go to this link....http://goo.gl/maps/UShV6 . Here are the directions. You will see the state of Indiana.. Zoom in to where you live and then click on the red button that says Edit. After you click Edit you will see a hand, blue pin point and a zig zag line on the map. Click the pin point and drag it to where you live on the map. After you have placed your pin point then click on it and you can edit your description by adding your county. If you want to change your blue pin point to another icon or upload your own then up on the right of that box click the pin point icon and choose others or upload your own icon. If anyone has problems with this feel free to ask.

This information is submitted periodically by Mother2Hens

3. MrTattoohead

MrTattoohead Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2013
    Bloomington, IN

Oh I get that, still doesn't mean I have to like failing an animal in my care. Just my $0.02.

4. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    yeah it still doesnt feel good :(

5. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    On the topic of bantams and large fowl, I have five Sebright bantams and a Silkie living with 32 large fowl hens of various breeds without issue. I absolutely agree that my banties don't realize they're banties. (Well, Margie the Silkie probably can't see well enough to distinguish between bantam and LF, but either way! :lol: ) My youngsters have a harder time than the bantams do getting along with the flock. I would absolutely not have bantam hens in a flock with a large fowl rooster, though. LF roosters can and will try to mount bantam hens and it can result in injury.

6. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Drat!!!!!! I wish you had said something earlier. Just this morning, I shipped 47 chipmunks to you that I live trapped.

Please give them a good home, yours perhaps.[​IMG]

John

1 person likes this.
  7. pbirdhaven

pbirdhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    North Vernon IN

I have always had silkies running with the LF with no problems. I even have a Brahma roo in the bunch. Watched one day as a silkie roo decided to challenge the Brahma, who kept trying to walk away--you could almost see him rolling his eyes and saying, "Whatever." The Brahma never did fight with the silkie--just finally left the yard. Whoever said that they don't know that they're bantams is right on!
    They do need a buddy to cuddle with a night, though. [​IMG]

8. CityHen-Indy

CityHen-Indy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've been keeping an eye on my LF roo to make sure he doesn't take an interest in the Silkie and so far we're good. Hoping he has enough hens to select from that he'll just ignore the munchkin. My grandkids and I are hoping the Silkie is a real hen, but she/he is only 17 weeks old, so I could still end up with a little Silkie roo.

Thanks for the warning;)
    Rita

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  9. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree. That is why I took Ashes (silkie hen) out of of LF flock. Gus would have smashed her! Plus silkies are a bit different. Having the vaulted skull (exposed brain) they are in much greater dander of injury in a LF flock than other bantams.

10. CityHen-Indy

CityHen-Indy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Any guesses as to roo or hen? She just finished a bath and has some preening to do so she can be her true fluffy self.I think her round puff makes her appear to be a hen, but I'm a true beginner.
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by