INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    its hopeless there is no cure. U must post pics! that will correct any pain and suffering you endure. And makes your fellow infected bycer's feel better as most have this disease too.

2. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    X2 [​IMG]

When a broody clutches eggs, she collects til she thinks its time to hatch. I have had broody's but haven't let them hatch, yet.
    If you want to break the broodyness remove her, crate her and don't let her stay on the nest.
    To encourage her, make a nest and put all the eggs in there.
    I am so sorry, they seem really fragile. Lost my oldest pullet fluff a few weeks ago,
    just dead, no obvious problem, injury, nothing. Think its the hot/cold horrible weather affecting our birds.
    Laying is off too, I got 4 eggs today from around 260 birds, including the lil quail.

3. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    I have had silkies (and sebrights) and LF mixed together since spring and they all seem to get along. There has been no beating up of the little guys thankfully. My bantams don't seem to realize they are smurfs. Especially the sebrights. I suppose it depends on how aggressive your roosters are.

4. julie0477

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    thanks for posting. This is good info. My lil guy is eating well and drinking his vitamin enriched water, but still can't balance well enough to stand. He sure wants to though. I'll keep working on him. I've never had this happen but I've also never had this many birds at one time or had silkies which seem a little more sensitive. I'm learning a lot this year. Also, the silkie that some one wants to go broody.... You could try filling her nest with like six golf balls to give her the feeling she's filled the nest. If she's thinking about being broody it might put her over the edge.

5. CityHen-Indy

CityHen-Indy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have one Silkie pullet which was purchased as day-old with my standard chicks. She's fine with the big group and doesn't get picked on, except I noticed recently the big girls roost on the top perch now and leave "Diva" on a lower perch by herself. Not so good for this coming winter so I'm regretting not getting her one or two little buddies. I'm rearranging the perch to be a single 2x4 and that should help, but I still think she needs a pint-sized buddy. She may just need to become a house chicken if the dogs will accept her.

6. CityHen-Indy

Aug 12, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Should ha
    . Should have included length of time they've been in the same coop/run...17 weeks. I'm thinking I would have seen issues by now. She's living with PRIR, BR, SLW, SF, SS roo and CM. Hope the happy flock continues;)

7. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    I LOVE your avatar. Got a good laugh from it.

John

8. CityHen-Indy

Aug 12, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I LOVE your avatar.  Got a good laugh from it. John

Thanks. If I bring Diva the Silkie in the house I'll definitely have to switch to a smaller coffee pot. She'll never be able to lift the full size! Ha

1 person likes this.
  9. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    You were right Thunder. That super long egg was a double yolker. As a bonus it was fertile as well. Happy my boys are getting the job done. :D

10. julie0477

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Well on a happier note in my other wise posts of doom I have a new layer sitting in a nest box today. Wooohoooo!

I also have a buff orp that's been sitting more than half the day every day. I think she's thinkin about babies ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by