INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

2. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana

thanks for the lunk i have never had a turner before
    i agree its not something every can do

i love rural king i would be lost without it. The coest one to me is decatur. People at the store probably think i am werid brecause i walk around the store a million times and pester them about chicks lol. And genetics can be confusing but understand it a lot more than iused to

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  4. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

5. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I forgot the blue option with the white to blue breeding. So it's blue black splash and possible white. My white are white multi generations back. So that;s why I was told that they could produce white. Probably no partridge or buff or any other colors though. Just wanted to clarify lol.

The man of the coop. Booker
    [​IMG]
    Ashes
    [​IMG]
    Luna, Snow, Suki. Dolly is not pictured. lol
    [​IMG]

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    i planned on itbut i dont think i am going to get one anytime soon i like flipping by hand.

7. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana

I had 4 eggs that didn't hatch, there was no way I was opening those up. I knew 2 were not fertile other chickens laid them while mama was out of the nest, the other 2 I tapped on them they made no sound. I gave them a small rattle while next to my ear, I heard a solid noise, like something hit the shell, yet still no sound. I disposed of them. Maybe next time I will open them to see what I can see.
    I go to the RK in Niles, MI. Yea I can spend some time in there too. So much to see!

Yay me! It seems I have figured out this Multi quote thing on the computer. Now if I can just figure it out on the ipad.

Deb

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    half the time i dont even buy anything i just wait for it to go on sale. On my ipod it i cant luti quote so i would assume ipads are the same. Be aware when tou crack eggs open they usually stink

9. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop

BBS is the same no matter what breed, so yes, Blue to Blue will produce 25% Black bl+/bl+, 50% Blue Bl/bl+, and 25% Splash Bl/Bl.

It's my understanding that Silkies are actually recessive white (I'm not sure if there are strains of dom. white Silkies or not), so their offspring should be half blue Bl/bl+ and half black bl+/bl+, 100% split to recessive white C+/c (meaning they carry the gene, but are not white). The easiest way to tell whether they are dom. or rec. white is to test cross them.

If they actually are dominant white, because it is dominant, they could be carrying one dom. white gene I/i+ or carrying two I/I. If they are I/I carrying two, 100% of the offspring will be white and carry one dom. white gene I/i+. If they are carrying one I/i+, half of the offspring will be white and carry one gene I/i+ as well, 25% should be black without the dom. white gene i+/i+, and 25% should be blue without the white gene i+/i+.

This is all assuming that the whites, whether dominant or recessive, are not carrying something that the white is hiding. I know genetics can be confusing, so I hope that clarifies it a little for you. :)

Edited to simplify my wording.

10. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    I was gone about 18 hours and behind again by over 100 posts [​IMG]

I did get far enough to see that several folks are having birds "go down in the legs" so I wanted to post a couple things that I hope may be helpful to somebody.

The first is this link that talks about some of the leg issues and causes. Note particularly the info on vitamins. There are various issues that "usually" affect birds during specific age ranges as a "rule of thumb". There exceptions to the rule of thumb however.

There is a lot of info here...keep reading all the way down :D
    https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

When I first heard about various "B" vitamins having an effect on leg issues w/chickens was a few years ago in one of Joel Salatin's books. Here is some info that is very interesting on riboflavin in young chicks in particular. I think if you click on the images they will come up large enough to read.

Quote:
    Pastured Poultry Profits
    Author: Joel Salatin
    Chapter 26 In It's Entirety
    For Educational Purposes Only. No copyright infringement intended

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ETA: Someone had remarked earlier how they wondered how the birds could be fine one day and not able to walk the next. In another part of JS book, he mentioned that was what happened. One day they were in that condition. After feeding the liver, they recovered quite quickly as well.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by