INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Quote:
I did not crack them open after day 7 the first time I incubated eggs. But I cracked open the ones that did not start to check for fertility. I wanted to blame the egg / chicken not my incubator.
For the started but stopped eggs, opening them is hard for me but I do it if I think too many stopped all at the same time. For the chicks I have helped out I think I have a 35%-50% good turn out rate. The others either did not make it or had to be put down. The putting down or just watching a chick struggle is not for me, my Moses takes care of the almost dead / culled chicks.

here are some listed on CL for cheaper than brand new:
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/4065220117.html
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/4052734745.html  This one looks like a great deal since it comes with a turner.  I gave it some thought.

thanks for the lunk i have never had a turner before
I agree, you can learn a lot from it. But for someone who doesnt want to deal with the death aspect of hatching, Id advise against it. If I have to assist, most of the chicks end up dying anyways so I pretty much just let them be.

i agree its not something every can do

I wish we had a rural king! They are all south of 24 it seems. True it's the same with silkies, but apparently mine have a dominant white gene, so they could produce white. It's so confusing it makes my head spin.  
That's true. I'm just ridiculously sensitive. I get teased about it regularly lol. Maybe I should just have other people hatch them for me. Ha!
Yes the rooster prospect is something I thought of. I would have to do the return policy thing for sure lol. Can't have fluffies being butchered. :p

i love rural king i would be lost without it. The coest one to me is decatur. People at the store probably think i am werid brecause i walk around the store a million times and pester them about chicks lol. And genetics can be confusing but understand it a lot more than iused to

Last edited:
Quote: I found that the chicks sell faster at $3-$5 listings and a willingness to drop prices for 3 or more. I also mention the cost of shipping for people to compare hatchery chick prices to mine.
But the mixes were a touch slower to sell when the chicks were in TSC / Rural King. I don't go below $2 for chicks I hatched. I think if stuff gets too cheap people avoid it by choosing the higher priced item as the better item.

If you get a turner you may need to run it with the incubater before putting the eggs in. The motor can generate heat.

Last edited:
I forgot the blue option with the white to blue breeding. So it's blue black splash and possible white. My white are white multi generations back. So that;s why I was told that they could produce white. Probably no partridge or buff or any other colors though. Just wanted to clarify lol.

The man of the coop. Booker

Ashes

Luna, Snow, Suki. Dolly is not pictured. lol

Last edited:
I found that the chicks sell faster at $3-$5 listings and a willingness to drop prices for 3 or more.  I also mention the cost of shipping for people to compare hatchery chick prices to mine.

But the mixes were a touch slower to sell when the chicks were in TSC / Rural King.  I don't go below $2 for chicks I hatched.  I think if stuff gets too cheap people avoid it by choosing the higher priced item as the better item.

If you get a turner you may need to run it with the incubater before putting the eggs in.  The motor can generate heat.

i planned on itbut i dont think i am going to get one anytime soon i like flipping by hand.

IMO, since they are enclosed in the shell and you dont actually see the chick, I dont have an issue. While you can learn from it, I would suggest that you do not crack them open if they dont hatch. That is hard to see a fully developed chick dead in the egg. Anytime you are breed/hatching, you have to be prepared to loose some. Some will hatch but be weak and not live longer than 24hrs. Its all part of nature regardless how hard it is.

I usually crack open the ones that dont develop. Tosee how far it got and what went wrong. And sometimes it pays off as they might not be dead, just need asstiance

I had 4 eggs that didn't hatch, there was no way I was opening those up. I knew 2 were not fertile other chickens laid them while mama was out of the nest, the other 2 I tapped on them they made no sound. I gave them a small rattle while next to my ear, I heard a solid noise, like something hit the shell, yet still no sound. I disposed of them. Maybe next time I will open them to see what I can see.
thanks for the lunk i have never had a turner before
i agree its not something every can do
i love rural king i would be lost without it. The coest one to me is decatur. People at the store probably think i am werid brecause i walk around the store a million times and pester them about chicks lol. And genetics can be confusing but understand it a lot more than iused to

I go to the RK in Niles, MI. Yea I can spend some time in there too. So much to see!

Yay me! It seems I have figured out this Multi quote thing on the computer. Now if I can just figure it out on the ipad.

Deb

I had 4 eggs that didn't hatch, there was no way I was opening those up.  I knew 2 were not fertile other chickens laid them while mama was out of the nest, the other 2 I tapped on them they  made no sound.  I gave them a small rattle while next to my ear, I heard a solid noise, like something hit the shell, yet still no sound.  I disposed of them.  Maybe next time I will open them to see what I can see.

I go to the RK in Niles, MI.  Yea I can spend some time in there too.  So much to see!

Yay me!  It seems I have figured out this Multi quote thing on the computer.  Now if I can just figure it out on the ipad.

Deb

half the time i dont even buy anything i just wait for it to go on sale. On my ipod it i cant luti quote so i would assume ipads are the same. Be aware when tou crack eggs open they usually stink

I dont know if is the same with silkies as it is with ameraucanas. But when breeding blue to blue you get 50% blue, 25% black, and 25% splash offspring

I wish we had a rural king! They are all south of 24 it seems. True it's the same with silkies, but apparently mine have a dominant white gene, so they could produce white. It's so confusing it makes my head spin.  

BBS is the same no matter what breed, so yes, Blue to Blue will produce 25% Black bl+/bl+, 50% Blue Bl/bl+, and 25% Splash Bl/Bl.

It's my understanding that Silkies are actually recessive white (I'm not sure if there are strains of dom. white Silkies or not), so their offspring should be half blue Bl/bl+ and half black bl+/bl+, 100% split to recessive white C+/c (meaning they carry the gene, but are not white). The easiest way to tell whether they are dom. or rec. white is to test cross them.

If they actually are dominant white, because it is dominant, they could be carrying one dom. white gene I/i+ or carrying two I/I. If they are I/I carrying two, 100% of the offspring will be white and carry one dom. white gene I/i+. If they are carrying one I/i+, half of the offspring will be white and carry one gene I/i+ as well, 25% should be black without the dom. white gene i+/i+, and 25% should be blue without the white gene i+/i+.

This is all assuming that the whites, whether dominant or recessive, are not carrying something that the white is hiding. I know genetics can be confusing, so I hope that clarifies it a little for you. :)

Edited to simplify my wording.

Last edited:
I was gone about 18 hours and behind again by over 100 posts
roll.png

I did get far enough to see that several folks are having birds "go down in the legs" so I wanted to post a couple things that I hope may be helpful to somebody.

The first is this link that talks about some of the leg issues and causes. Note particularly the info on vitamins. There are various issues that "usually" affect birds during specific age ranges as a "rule of thumb". There exceptions to the rule of thumb however.

There is a lot of info here...keep reading all the way down :D
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

When I first heard about various "B" vitamins having an effect on leg issues w/chickens was a few years ago in one of Joel Salatin's books. Here is some info that is very interesting on riboflavin in young chicks in particular. I think if you click on the images they will come up large enough to read.

Quote:
Pastured Poultry Profits
Author: Joel Salatin
Chapter 26 In It's Entirety
For Educational Purposes Only. No copyright infringement intended

ETA: Someone had remarked earlier how they wondered how the birds could be fine one day and not able to walk the next. In another part of JS book, he mentioned that was what happened. One day they were in that condition. After feeding the liver, they recovered quite quickly as well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom