INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

HA! Yeah they usually give me away. I'm breeding whites to blue, and blue to blue. So white balck and splash will be what I get. Possibly paint if I figure out how to do that.

2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    no, i hardly ever go to TSC, they are genereally more expensive for the things I buy, plus I dont care much for the store. I got it at rural king. It was $42.99. It is probably the same one though it is a farm innovators I think model 2100

3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I dont know if is the same with silkies as it is with ameraucanas. But when breeding blue to blue you get 50% blue, 25% black, and 25% splash offspring

4. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    IMO, since they are enclosed in the shell and you dont actually see the chick, I dont have an issue. While you can learn from it, I would suggest that you do not crack them open if they dont hatch. That is hard to see a fully developed chick dead in the egg. Anytime you are breed/hatching, you have to be prepared to loose some. Some will hatch but be weak and not live longer than 24hrs. Its all part of nature regardless how hard it is.

5. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I usually crack open the ones that dont develop. Tosee how far it got and what went wrong. And sometimes it pays off as they might not be dead, just need asstiance

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I dont know why but I had the hardest time selling my barnyard mixes. I only asked $2 a chick

8. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
  9. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    I agree, you can learn a lot from it. But for someone who doesnt want to deal with the death aspect of hatching, Id advise against it. If I have to assist, most of the chicks end up dying anyways so I pretty much just let them be.

10. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I wish we had a rural king! They are all south of 24 it seems. True it's the same with silkies, but apparently mine have a dominant white gene, so they could produce white. It's so confusing it makes my head spin.
    That's true. I'm just ridiculously sensitive. I get teased about it regularly lol. Maybe I should just have other people hatch them for me. Ha!
    Yes the rooster prospect is something I thought of. I would have to do the return policy thing for sure lol. Can't have fluffies being butchered. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by