INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Nice! Just store the with fat end up and if possible in a cooler part of he house. I've read around 60F seems to be recommended. I store mine in h basement. Tilt one end of the carton and rotate with end several times a day.

I just put some eggs in the hatcher, so there is definitely room in my incubator if you decide you'd like to hatch them. Just let me know when you could bring them down or meet in Huntington and I'd let you know when they hatch and arrange pick up. Or you could go buy an incubator and be sucked into the hatching madness! Lol

2. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I plan on buying an incubator, but I will end up trying to hatch every egg the silkies lay. I would be in trouble. I don't think I could find homes for that many bearded silkies. lol
    I was going to put them back in the nesting box in the morning, and see if they lay more. Is that bad?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  3. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    Quote:

4. kabhyper1

Okay. So I put them pointed end down in an egg carton and propped one side up in a cooler room in our house. How often do I "seesaw" the carton odd numbered times a day? The oldest eggs are a week old. So I guess I will have to decide soon what to do with them huh? I'm not 100 percent that they are fertile. I probably can't tell right now can I?

5. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  6. kabhyper1

I left the carton open, they are so small that they have plenty of breathing space in there, so I don't think I need holes in the bottom. I'm not depending on chicks really at all, I just don't want to waste what may be close to the last eggs of the season since silkies aren't reliable layers.
    [​IMG]
    I would like to see what they will produce if I want to start breeding them. I just don't know what kind of demand there is for bearded silkies in northern Indiana. So I don't want to bring little lives into the world that don't have a place to go. I would like to learn incubation too. So this is interesting to me. Thank you for your help. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    I tend to research something to death before I take the plunge, and as the obsession grows, so does the tendency to suck up every bit of information I can find.

As far as incubation goes, I'm a rank amateur. I have a brinsea mini, that holds 7 eggs and auto turns. I have tried twice to hatch CCL eggs and managed a 1/7 hatch both times. If I hadn't heard how much trouble others had with the eggs, I'd be really down. I have definitely resolved that my next try (in the spring) will be a different breed to see how that works for me. Also, I picked up both sets of eggs, so have never tried shipped eggs.

As far as the broody hen goes, I've tried twice. One of my Welsummers went broody this summer. I gave her a couple eggs, and she tried her best, but no hatching. The second try was a phoenix pullet. In spite of other hens sitting on her to lay eggs, my not getting her separated from the others in time, etc.... She hatched 2 out of 3 eggs. The other egg disappeared the day before the others hatched. I'm half convinced it may have hatched and one of the other chickens or turkeys got it. After some initial issues, she is proving to be a good mother. It has been very enjoyable watching her show them how to eat and drink and watching them scurry in and out of her feathers.

I've really enjoyed it, and it is definitely very addicting to hatch eggs. It just shows you how insidious chicken math can be....[​IMG]

8. kabhyper1

Do you like your Brinsea? Were you scared to screw up when you started? I am. I don't want to end up killing a bunch of chicks that would have been fine in someone elses hands.

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    ha, I drove past your house to get to the party.

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I was really nervous and worried the first time I hatched eggs. But my first hatch I had an 86% hatch rate. Some of my own eggs and some shipped. I was thrilled, not that the first try is always that good, but dont get discouraged if you donthave a good hatch, just change your method and try again.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by