INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Those might have been crows. I have seen several in my area. They are looking for dead stuff and downed corn. They scare the h*ll out of chickens though. The guineas freak out, but the crows just keep circling and waiting for something to drop dead (a chipmunk, for instance[​IMG]).

John

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Just say a hawk circling the bean field beside my house. The hawk cant get my chickens because they are all in the barn. I havent built runs yet. For once I can say I saw a hawk without one of my chickens attached to it.

3. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

4. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

5. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    Welsummer eggs are not as dark as BCMs, but they are darker than other brown egg layers. So I would think you would get an OE out of them. I have two Welsummers, and I may put them with one of my CCL roos to see what we get.

And it is more fun 'making' them. As someone who for the first time this year both incubated and had a broody hatch, it is totally worth it. You get the full experience. You get to pace endlessly hoping your eggs will hatch, wring your hands hoping your chicks will live, fret that they won't all turn out to be boys, and then wonder if they are ever going to lay. Isn't chicken keeping great?

2 people like this.
  6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Someone on the easter egger braggers thread hatched a bunch of welsummer X EE, they said it will give you OEs and I always thought it would, but you will get way better color if you use a marans

7. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    You are relatively new to this, but I am impressed with your research and level of knowledge.

What incubator, etc. are you using? What hatch rates are you getting? Are you hatching shipped eggs? What are your thoughts on the subject? Your comments may prove helpful to those of us who have yet to take the plunge.

John

8. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    For the backyard mixed eggs I set just over a week a go, I candled them twice. Once on Wed night and once this afternoon. All of the duds on Wed were still duds today and got pulled. But of the 12 eggs I set 8 got pulled. Of the 8 that got pulled not a one was fertile. I had 4 mating roosters in the pen with 9 hens. Now 2 were less than 20 weeks so I did not expect them to be fertile but the others I was hoping. I think part of the problem may have been the heat. I can see not wanting to be sat on in 90 degree weather. Another part of the problem might have been the roosters overmating. Perhaps they were so happy to see hens that they just could not get enough. Either way, I'm glad I have some more eggs coming and chicks too.
    This chicken raising is addicting.

9. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    :p
    So far what she has left hasn't resembled an egg much.

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    going to warren in a little bit for a christmas party. Yes a christmas party in september!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by