INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    you could just get a pair of legbars and have him as the head roo. then you can get OE and pure legbar chicks!

2. Quinstar

Quinstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Indiana
    Wouldn't my roos fight since my flock is rather small? I'm definitely like M2H when it comes to my birds. They are my pets as much as anything else. I definitely don't want to get rid of Carl, but I'm not opposed to a second roo as long as I wouldn't have to worry about them tearing into each other.

3. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    Yes. If he actually does carry the blue egg gene. Not a guarantee with an EE. And of course, if you have my luck, you would have to hatch out approximately 50 chicks to get a pullet or two.

4. Quinstar

Apr 28, 2013
    Indiana
    Oh don't say that!!! We finally figured out that of our 3 guineas 2 are boys and one is a girl so I probably do have your luck. Maybe I should just leave the hatching to the rest of you and and pay you all large amounts of money for the birds I want. [​IMG]

5. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    I have seven Roos and they all get along. A lot of it depends on breed temperament I think. What are the leg bars like? I could have 20 Brahma Roos and I think they'd all go out and have beers (or acv water) and talk about the ladies haha

6. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    When people on here talk about normal vs Heritage, they are differentiating between hatchery/backyard (normal) and birds bred to show and match the APA Standard of Perfection (heirloom/heritage). Believe it or not, there can be quite a difference in the birds. Sally's RIRs are a good example. Color is different, as are shape, size, even attitude between the birds bred for egg production and the ones bred to the Standard.

1 person likes this.
  7. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Welcome to the chatty thread.

Be sure to toss all your garden debris (except tomato plants, most folks agree they are bad for chickens) over the fence. I pulled broccoli plants out by the roots and tossed them over. Next day, nothing left but the stem and roots.

There are a bunch of BYCer's up there.

John

8. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    The problem is, I have a crushed stone floor in my barn and they keep digging it up.

Just last week, I had to hire a bulldozer to pull my tractor out of a hole they dug.

John

9. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    The folks like Brad that hatch chicks know what they are doing and, better yet, what not to do. They get a much better hatch rate than newbies like us.

From comments I've read on this thread, Crested Cream Legbars are particularly difficult, especially with shipped eggs. I'm gonna buy chicks.

Buying a dozen $5 eggs and getting one to hatch can make for some VERY expensive poultry, especially when it turns out to be a rooster.

John

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  10. Quinstar

Apr 28, 2013
    Indiana
    I apologize for laughing out loud as I read this! I think the chipmunks are on to you and are executing their revenge. You may want to sleep with your windows closed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by