Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. pbirdhaven

pbirdhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    North Vernon IN
    On the subject of broodies, my barnyard hens simply brood wherever they choose (as long as it's not out by the fence or something!). They hatch the chicks and protect them, and there has never been any problem from the rest of the flock. I guess because that's how my grandparents did it, I didn't consider anything else. My actual breeding stock, however, is separated by pairs or trios.
    One white rock hen hatched 16 chicks, watched over them, and didn't lose any--sold all 16 when they were a little older. That's one of them in my avatar. They wanted to roost on the top of the pen but couldn't quite make it on their own. Varmint was quite gentle and didn't mind being used as a stepping stone.
    1 person likes this.
  2. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    That is a sweet set up! Wish more people understood that you can't keep a "Nemo" in a goldfish bowl.
    1 person likes this.
  3. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
  4. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Nope wasn't setting you up. I was just curious as I said. I appreciate your info. I don't use them nor plan to, but it just seemed odd that many places use them even though they are ineffective.
  5. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

So I moved her. After finding multiple eggs that weren't marked under her today, and three hens in the nesting box with her enabling her egg stealing problem, I moved her to the barn. She was a bit confused at first, but ate and drank and pooed and went back to the eggs. I accidentally broke one of the eggs she was sitting on this morning, so there are twelve now. But it was developing, the blastoderm/ target, was larger than a fresh egg. I felt badly, but she has twelve more to work with and there are three eggs in the silkie coop this morning, plus the four layed by the big girls, so I'm not short on fertile eggs at all. lol

She's in there, just hard to see.
  6. strssdmom

strssdmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I am so jealous. We had to rehome our rooster recently, due to neighborhood rules. I can't wait to move and have some hatching going on. I hope you plan to post pics when they hatch.
  7. kabhyper1

I will! I hope everything goes smoothly. :)
  8. kabhyper1

So I gave my mother in law my bantam cochin rooster Oliver... This is what she posted on fb that he is doing today. Can you say spoiled! He does live outside with his two big hens, not sure why he was in the house LOL.
    He is also a therapy chicken for my husbands grandmother who has alzheimers. He sits with her outside all the time.
    He thinks he is a big rooster. He is a war dancing toe pecker, but he is adorable!
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Line up pillows under the roosts so the eggs don't break. [​IMG]

10. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    They keep your shoes from getting dirty. [​IMG] Poop free soles, until the cheap plastic tears.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by