INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. browncow15

browncow15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Indiana
    Your coop looks awesome!!

2. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Note to self- stop putting so many sets of eggs in the incubator so close to each other! It's not fun trying to fit them all into the hatcher! Thankfully I hav a 5 day window now to clear out the hatcher before I have to lockdown more eggs.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
    2 people like this.
  3. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Not cloth.

Read the description from the link.

Anti Skid Lab Safety Disposable PPSB Shoe Cover - 100 pieces size XL

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anti-Skid-L...097?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f6104599

Item Description:
    Spunbonded polypropylene anti-skid shoe covers may be used to protect against dirt, grime, and certain dry particulates in non-hazardous environments. Appropriate for industrial, pharmaceutical, food processing, construction, and certain environmental cleanup applications.

Product Features:
    • Anti-Skid Bottom
    • Lightweight
    • Fluid Resistant

You are right that these are not 100% effective.

On the other hand, I am not suggesting that these are germ-warfare containment devices. Just that they might be better than nothing.

If I have neighbors "wanting to see the pretty chickens," I see no need for any precautions.

If someone who raises chickens visit, I will ask them to don the booties. I don't think I would insist that they change clothes or wear a "moon suit".

If someone who has had trouble with Marek's Disease visits, I will hand them a pair of binoculars and ask that they view from their car in the street.

If I visit somewhere, I'll wear the booties.
    Don't like washing shoes.

If I go to a poultry show, I'll soak the shoes in bleach solution.

To be perfectly safe, you would have to never add to your flock. Or have a quarantine site hundreds of feet from your flock. Upon leaving the quarantine site, change clothes and shower at an intermediate site before coming home. Of course, you would have to come into the intermediate site through one door and leave through another door. It can be done, but is impractical.
    We do the best we reasonably can. Not great, but better than nothing.

The problem I have with these covers is that I don't think they would last more than a few steps on gravel. There are cheaper ones ($5) that are VERY thin and likely not to last more than a moment on anything rougher than carpet.

Search ebay.com for "disposable shoe covers".

John

1 person likes this.
  4. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    It's very difficult from the angle and distance of these shots to figure out what they are. They also appear to be in that 'sparrow/crow' subadult stage where they haven't gotten their adult plumage yet, and their combs aren't showing much. I had a couple that looked like yours at one point, but as adults, they now look very different, and I had no idea what they were until they got their adult feathers. Sorry that wasn't much help. But I wanted to make sure you at least got a response from someone.

While setting on eggs and raising chicks, she will be 100% focused on her job at hand. Other chickens are now a threat and not a flockmate. Loneliness is not an issue at this time. My broody decided each day when she was comfortable leaving the nest to eat and do her business. I preferred to just let her be to do her job. If you want her near the flock, the best way to do it would be a separate small enclosure right next to the main enclosure. That way they can see and interact if wanted, but not interfere with the babies.

1 person likes this.
  5. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Good points. Id also like to mention that when I attended PU, we always used these when going to the farms. I'd think if they didnt have any benefit what so ever, I would have thought PU would have known and not wasted money (be it my tuition money, but still lol). Now you got me curious, Kiniska. Are you in the healthcare field or a mad scientist ;)

6. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    Thanks any way. These are some chicks that were given to my neighbor. I guess they were accidental hatches and they arent sure what they are.

7. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    they might be mixed breed then which would be why it's so hard to tell. They kind of look like they have Easter egger in them to me but I'm no expert, that's for sure.

8. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    Good points. Id also like to mention that when I attended PU, we always used these when going to the farms. I'd think if they didnt have any benefit what so ever, I would have thought PU would have known and not wasted money (be it my tuition money, but still lol).

Now you got me curious, Kiniska. Are you in the healthcare field or a mad scientist [​IMG]

Not a mad scientist, well unless I have been up set. [​IMG] I work in medical research and mice are involved.

All the points being made about these shoe covers are appreciated. As for a facility using them well... Hospitals use them, research facilities use them, and chemical plants use them. Just because everyone does something does not mean it actually works. Really depends on situation, but in the application you all want to use them everyone needs to be aware that they won't be effective. It would be awful if someone thought they were protecting their flock and instead infected it.

I hate that shoe covers are used at some of our facilities at work. Shoe covers, in many instances, are more a liability than a help. Shoe covers are one of those things that have been used for so long without testing to prove their worth that they have become a fixture. Recently testing has been done that has shown how ineffective they are. Where I work the vendors take the guy who does our protective equipment purchasing out to eat and they give him tickets to shows etc.... So even though we all know they are useless and half of us don't use them the facility still buys the things.

Take this example. The first surgeon who decided all medical equipment should be sterilized in between patients was thought a mad idiot by his colleges. He knew he was right, he had concrete numbers to back it up, but it took years for the medical community to acknowledge it and thousands of people died from secondary infections until his findings were acknowledged. Now if a doctor came at you with a dirty needle or crusty scalpel any of us would loose our minds on them. It is considered "common" knowledge that things have to be sterilized.

If you guys want to use shoe covers that is your choice, just be aware that they may not do what you hope they will. What will be very effective is dedicated shoes, like rubber crocks, that can be bleached and sanitized regularly. [​IMG] Forgive me, I really hate shoe covers.

And like John said, if they have a known disease where they are coming from, give them a pair of binoculars.

9. Quinstar

Quinstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Indiana
    What kind of filtration are you running. I'm hoping to get rid of my store bought filter and build a sump/fuge for my 50 gallon.

I think this sounds like a great idea! Though then I have to place to keep up on posts, but it would be nice for everyone who is on FB.

So sorry about the loss of your bird. Seems like members are losing birds left and right lately.

Our oldest girl just started laying and we've gotten 5 eggs in the last 7 days.

You better put her under lock and key because you live quite close and I fully intend on kidnapping her. Just too cute!

10. strssdmom

strssdmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Thanks Mother2Hens! It has been a while. Homeschooling is in full swing, volleyball is a full-time job, and basketball is just starting. So, I am on here, but just barely. It is nice to be able to check in and ask a question when needed though. I love to see all the pics and get "caught up" so to speak. Hope all is well with you and your flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by