INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Now if she would only lay her own eggs and hatch them that would be great! She and Blueberry were so cute. I want more blue cochins.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I posted about my feather pecking problem a long while back, I think end of July or first of August. I bought pinless peepers back then but never used them. I blue-koted the poor White Rock that was getting the most abuse and she has recovered pretty well since then. Still ugly but at least no red skin. I let the girls out Sunday as promised to see how they would do in the backyard and they loved it. Then my wife noticed one of the Red Sex-Links had a severe case of feather pecking that you couldn't see unless you looked really close. It was covered by other feathers and has since gotten much worse because it started to bleed and most of the flock was pecking her. I blue-koted her Sunday and put her in a cage with a roost, food, and water for the night and let her out Monday on her own. Later I let the rest out to join her to see how it would go.

I thought it was going well and then, when I thought I could trust them, they started pecking her again. I grabbed the worst offender, the White Rock at the top of the pecking order, and put her in the cage instead. This revealed a lot. For the first time, all of the rest of the flock stayed in the coop area together for the night, including the new EE's that I added. When I got home today, my injured one was still being pecked because the blood was attracting them. SallyInIndiana had already told me that I should keep the bully secluded but that wasn't going to fix the problem. I only have one cage. I read that you should keep the injured one secluded until they heal. So I decided to try the peepers on the bully and seclude the injured one. I put the peepers on the White Rock, let them all loose in the yard, and watched them to see how things went. The peepers seem to work. I saw the EEs attack the the peepered bird a couple of times but I don't know if it was retaliation or not. I am guessing it was. Those poor EEs deserved to give some payback.

It looks like I found my bully and have shaken up the pecking order. With the injured one in the cage, the rest are all still inside the coop area for the night with the peepered one on a separate roost (different). I am hoping that the injured one heals and they all behave. I will keep you posted if I have success. Now for your entertainment, pictures of the peepered bully. It took a lot of pictures to get a good one. She is a bad, bad girl.

[​IMG]

See how nice her tail feathers are compared to her friends?

[​IMG]

She has a new outlook now.

[​IMG]

Love that she doesn't have a feather-pecked tail, like the rest of the flock.

[​IMG]

Another good look at the new specks.

After a few days of uncertainty, I made a decision and I am posting this to document what I am trying. Maybe it will help someone else but it is not a recommendation. I think you have to try something different when nothing else seems to work. Btw, I am still getting 6-7 eggs a day. The injured one even laid an egg in the cage. Bully was not so generous.

1 person likes this.
  3. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

1 person likes this.
  4. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    Oh my goodness, I just can't keep up in the last couple of days. I tried and you guys were so kind to be busy this weekend and then BAM. I was lost. I just wanted to post some pics of progress and other things. I hope you like them.

[​IMG]When I was having a good time with our kids at the Indy Irish Fest, this is what my DH was doing. He finished all of the shingles on the roof (and posed like a goofball for me), put the door up on the run, added pergola boards to the top of the run, and finished the wire. WOW. I hope to NEVER see him up on a roof again. Gravity is not his friend.

[​IMG] On Sunday I added all the hangers to keep the dirt out of the food, added roosts, and finished some details. As you can tell, I hadn't cleaned the coop up yet. Sorry about that.

[​IMG] So I am not sure how I feel about the pergola-ish boards on top of the run, but I'm still thinking on it. My DH thought I'd love it, so I am working on it. Seems kind of busy, but now I can grow some grapes climbing roses on the coop ;-). As long as it also goes on the run extension, it should be good. I still need to bury that section of wire and plant some evergreens there.

[​IMG] This is the waspinator thing I was telling you guys about. Its working to keep away the wasps and bees, but the hornets are not bothered at all. I might need to move it to the other side of the coop.

[​IMG]This is the reason that I need to plant the wire!! His name is definitely MAX now and he wants my chickens BAD. I really like him though, so we are trying to figure out how to keep everyone happy.
    [​IMG]I know I have told you guys that a lady down the street has the cutest coop. It looks like a very large dog house, but its been modified. I stopped and talked to her today and she got the plans out of a gardening book. Its got big wheels on the back and it holds her 5 hens just fine. CUTE

[​IMG]So, now that the roof is up and the trim is on, we decided that we hated the white paint because it showed too much dirt. Now the coop is light tan and dark burgundy/brown (ok, maybe purplish) trim. Its so much better. Once the paint is done, I have permission to start the extension. He just needs to finish the cupola and I think that's it...except for putting away the tools. That happens this coming weekend.

I hope you are having a great week everyone!
    Cheryl

5. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    [​IMG]

6. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    my goslings do this same thing, usually only the boys. So far haven't seen it in a chicken, yet.

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    thanks everybody for all the tips

8. pbirdhaven

pbirdhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    North Vernon IN
    I'm cooping in on Saturday morning, so will be there early. Always plan to be there when the doors open but never make it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] I'm sorry that the little fellow didn't make it. No matter how many times it happens, it's always hard.
    The vets there are so good with birds and go out of their way to help--great about the necropsy deal.

Kabhyper, your video is awesome! Beautiful pullet.

There were other great photos, too, that I neglected to mark as I went through. So many posts to catch up on this time!

9. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    Babies shouldn't be integrated into the flock until they are almost the same size as the older flock members. If you try to early, the bigger ones can injure the smaller ones. That is one of the issues I face in that it is hard to keep the various age groups separate. Next year I am going to try for a few big hatches, so I minimize the different groups I have to separate.

As far as pecking order. Just being away from the flock sitting on eggs is going to do that. My first hen that went broody was the boss hen when she started. She didn't manage to hatch anything, and when she stopped being broody, she was a middle of the flock bird. My other two broodies were near the bottom of the pecking order anyway, so no great changes there.

10. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

If I separate her, I will probably take her out for 15 minutes a day with the flock. I am told this helps. Since the babies stay with her for 4 weeks though I think she will be lonely won't she? When the chicks are getting ready to go outside with her? I really want to leave her with the flock, but I understand the risk for the chicks. Hmm decisions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by